How can I tell my husband's cousin it's time to move out.

My husband's cousin has been living with us for about 2 months and hasn't paid anything. I'm 21 weeks and I'm tired of the smoking, dirty house and he is living where we are going to put the baby's in. How can I talk to my husband about it without being the bitchy wife?

ashley0529

Asked by ashley0529 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2012 in Relationships

• Tell your husband, since it is his cousin he should be the one dealing with the situation.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2012

• It is your husbands job to tell him.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2012

• I would ask my husband how much longer the cousin is going to stay,, and tell him no more smoking in the house period. I would as your husband to formulate a plan on when he is leaving, and for your husband to tell him to pick up after himself.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2012

• I would tell him that he is taking up space and resources that need to be devoted to the baby, and that since he has not paid a dime, he needs to leave.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2012

• Tell your husband that you need time to get the room ready for the baby. Then point out the harm the cousin's smoking could do to your unborn child (I would have nipped that one in the bud - he'd have been out on his butt the first time he lit up in my home). Then tell him that you're sick of living in the pigsty the cousin is making and that it is insalubrious to the baby. Beat your husband over the head with brute reason ... so that when you say the cousin has to be out by the end of the month - no ifs, no buts - he will be relieved to have a solution :) Heck, there just won't be room for a filthy layabout once the baby arrives. Better get rid of him NOW.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2012

• Mom-2-3-Girlz, I'd be wary of doing that because it can be turned round so that if the guy pays a little rent he gets to stay ...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2012

• just a note: you cannot throw a person's stuff out when you have allowed him/her to make your house his/her home. You'd have to evict legally. Just remind hubby that it's almost time for the baby and you need to get things ready for the child. I'd also remind him that your child is smoking every time his cousin does and have him go outside to smoke. Ask hubby what he thinks is a reasonable date for cousin to leave. Let him be a part of the decision then he can't think you are a nagging wife. Once he picks a date, go with him to discuss it with cousin so cousin knows it's a decision supported by both of you. He might decide to just leave on his own before then

Answer by admckenzie at 2:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2012

• Is he on the lease?

If it was me I would tell him he had a set time to leave, if he was not gone by that date, the next time he went out the door, the locks would be changed.

You and your husband are not his responsibility, he is a grown man and needs to do as grown men do. He has overstayed his visit, one that was extended out of kindess, done nothing to help or show appreciation for your kindness, now its time for him to get to stepping.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2012

• Change the locks on the house and don't give him a key. Then invite him back to clear out his crap.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 4:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2012

• Well, if you don't want to be a bitchy wife, you better talk to him tonight. ANd talk to him again tomorrow and then the next day. Then you tell his cousin that you need your house back and that you expect him to leave within a few days because enough is enough.
    Shaun888

Answer by Shaun888 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2012