Has anyone ever tried a CIO alternative and had it work? (Accidentally closed Q. last time)

I'm at the end of my sanity. My 7 month old daughter wakes up every 2-3 hours at night. Sometimes every 1-2 hours. We've tried extra feedings, baby cereal b4 bed, setting up a routine, partial night-weaning, going to bed earlier, tiring the baby out,...EVERYTHING!

I was comitted to co-sleeping and not using the CIO method. But I can't take it any longer. I'm waking up resentful and angry with her. But people are now saying that her body is used to receiving nutrients (little as it may be, each time she wakes up) at certain intrevals during the night, and so her body is trained to wake up at those times for it. I can't let this go on till she's 2 or 3, as I hear many other mother's doing. (I'll feel like a complete failure for this, but I'm learning my limits.)

B4 we let her CIO (Because I really don't feel good about doing it), have u ever used another method that's turned an all-night waker into an all-night sleeper?

SweetpeaAK

Asked by SweetpeaAK at 3:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 18 month old still wakes up like once a night. I nurse her for a sec and she goes right back to sleep.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• That's so tough, I am so sorry. The thing that has helped us the most is having a good bedtime routine. (breast, cereal, bath, breast, book, sing song, say prayers, one more song bed.) it sounds like a lot but it really isn't and it's my favorite part of the day.

It sounds like your little one is waking more out of habit then hunger. Keep up with the routine, I know it's hard not to have a quick fix.

You could also try putting a portable crib in your room by your bed and each night move it further from your bed until it ends up in her room (I know it sounds crazy, but my friend was so desperate to get the baby done with co sleeping and tried it and it worked for her!)

Good luck!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 3:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• She's a very healthy 20 pound baby (95th percentile), so I do believe it's more out of habit than hunger. And I'd gladly continue co-sleeping (we aren't in a rush to get her out of our room). And I wouldn't even mind waking up 2-3 times a night. ...but every 1-3 hours...my body just can't handle it anymore. I broke into tears the other day just talking to my li'l girl's doctor about it!
    SweetpeaAK

Answer by SweetpeaAK at 4:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I know how you feel! We ended up doing the CIO method because we had tried everything else we could think of. Our son had been waking 6-8 times/night. And I had the same feelings... so tired and sadly a bit angry with him for being up all night long... night after night after night.
    Our son sleeps in a crib, so I don't know what methods work best for co-sleeping.
    Just wanted to give you *hugs* and let you know you aren't alone.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I know it's tough... hang in there...
    It sounds like your little one has her days and nights mixed right now. Make sure you keep the lights low when she wakes and try to keep everything calm and quiet. My babies did this for a while but they soon fell in sync with the rest of the world.
    loyo3000

Answer by loyo3000 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Even though I'm a CIO-er, i have a suggestion thats non-cry friendly. This works with most any age. (if you have her on a bottle even on occassion) You start off with a full milk bottle at her wake up times. Over the next few days, water it down until eventually you are all water. Then put less and less water in the bottle. Eventually, they won't want to wake up just to drink the small amount of water and will sleep longer.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Yes, I have. I used the No Cry Sleep SOlution and it wokred within 10 days(closer to 7). All my kids(I have 5) are great sleepers and all but one slept through very early. I've never allowed any of them to CIO.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Absolutely! There are way too many methods out there to use one that has studies showing it may cause damage. I would rather go insane then purposely damage my child in any way especially with a situation that rights itself every time, insanity can be fixed. Sleeping is a developmental milestone reached in baby's own time. As you are seeing the more you push the worse it can make things. Big meals before bed can cause stomach discomfort and actually cause for a more wakeful baby, so try to stop that one. Does she have an additional comfort measure, blanket, toy, binky? Because if so try giving baby that when she wakes instead of feeding her right away (she still will need to feed sometime throughout the night). I know it is so hard right now but do try to wait it out and stop pushing baby. The change may happen overnight, just hang in there! Good Luck!  I know it feels never ending but it does end, trust us.

Anonymous