Why does he repeat things in a whisper?

My 4 year old will often repeat back something either he or someone else says but he does it in a whisper. It's kind of like that kid from "The Middle" except he'll repeat the last part of the statement not just the last word. For example today he asked for chicken for dinner and I replied that we made chicken last night. He then repeated in a whisper "made chicken last night....." He'll also repeat himself in a whisper. He doesn't do it all the time but it's becoming more frequent. Has anyone's child ever done this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my ds never did/does that.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2012

• Quirk?
    I had one that sang whenever they went poo.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2012

• Trying to help himself remember? My only child that did/does this is my oldest, but he has autism so he repeats lot of stuff.

Answer by missanc at 3:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2012

• It sounds like it is his cute little way.
    Shaun888

Answer by Shaun888 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2012

• My kid is too little to do this, but I.. um.. well, I talk to myself all the time. Lots of times, I'm replaying a conversation I had or imagining an upcoming situation and either figuring out what I'm going to do/say or I'm trying to come to terms with it. Sounds like he might be doing something similar. I'd say it's harmless.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2012