When did you hit puberty or started to menstruate? What age were you?

When did you hit puberty? How did your mom handle it? Did she talk with you about what was going on? Were you scared?

I was 6 years of age when I started menstruating. My mother never said anything to me. I started the summer before first grade and was scared every time I started. All my mom ever said to me was that it was normal and that I was okay.

It wasn't until the 4th grade that a teacher had found out and talked my mom into letting me take a special class on what happens to our bodies when we hit puberty. It was very helpful and I was grateful to the teacher.

So what is your story, do you have one. Is there anyone out there that has started as young as I did?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Health

• SIX YEARS OLD! omg thats so young! i was 11, but we had puberty ed in 5th grade so that we'd know what was going on
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I started just before 8. My mom said she started young, too. She talked to me when I was 7 and didn't want me to be scared. She offered just enough info but didn't go into the whole birds & bees things until I was about 9. Whenever I had questions, she was always supportive.
    musicmamma169

Answer by musicmamma169 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Six?

As hard as I find that to believe - I'm sorry your mother never explained what was happening.

I was in 5th grade and was OK with it all - I remember calling my mother at work being very excited by the whole thing!

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:53 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My oldest sister had started at 7 years of age and my mom had taken her to the doctor and found out what was going on. So when it happened to me at 6, she knew what was happening and didn't say anything. I just remember being scared every time I started my period each month. It was a really rough childhood.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 3:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I sit here and think there has got to be other people out there, I was a little nervous to post this question, every time I search for started puberty early, I come across 9 years old, but nothing earlier than that. This is such a large forum, there has got to be others out there. Thank you musicmamma for responding.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 4:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Wimsey, my mother NEVER EVER talked about sex. That was a dirty word in our house and I think she had her own emotional problems, she didn't know how to deal with what was going on with us girls. I know it is hard to believe, because you just don't here about this sort of stuff. Funny thing is my middle sister did not start until she was 15 years of age. So you have my oldest sister who started at 7 then 15 then 6. My mother started hers at 12.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 4:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I had just turned 12.
    moniquesand

Answer by moniquesand at 4:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I am so sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish there was a time machine and I could go back and give your six old little person a big hug.

DD is going to be seven soon and while it would freak me out, I know I would handle it better. I hope. Oh Lord.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I don't remember exactly how old I was, 11 or 12, in the 6th grade. I had an older sister so I knew all about it. My mom had already stocked the bathroom for the day it would come. When it did come I didn't tell my mom, lol, I just kept it to myself until one day the supplies in the bathroom ran out and I didn't have a choice but to tell her. It was funny because when I told her she got all excited and went to the bathroom to get the "supplies" and they were gone and she was all "hm what happened to them" and I just shrugged. lmao. AND JUST LIKE I PREDICTED, she was off telling the whole world the next day -.-'
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I was 14
    southpawshelia

Answer by southpawshelia at 4:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2009