What do you do when you have a 17 year old who is disrespectful?

My 17 year old daughter can be so disrespectful at times. I try and teach her the right way and if I say anything she doesn't like she will throw it in your face and she laughs right in my face! She talks to me like I am her age. I even try to apologize if I say the wrong thing and she just has this way about her that nI cannot deal with. It is so frustrating!

mstonya38

Asked by mstonya38 at 8:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• take her car if she has one, her phone ,computer and anything elses she LIVES her daily life with. When she has learned to treat you correctly and respects you then slowly give it back and do not give it back just because she gives you hell or gets in your face. take her door to her bedroom if you have to...MAKE AN IMPRESSION that will last for a good while!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2012

• I would get a big calendar and mark the days off until her 18th birthday. ON her birthday I would give her a copy of the want ads with both jobs and apartments circled.

Seriously though, I would probably take away priveleges until her attitude improved. If you pay for her car, take the keys. If you pay for her insurance, stop. IDK though, a headstrong 17 year old I would think wouldn't easily change her ways. I really don't know. My kids aren't there yet.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2012

• Hot Dang, luvmy. I was going to suggest taking the bedroom door off and thought I would have been suggesting something too harsh. I'm glad you put that in your answer.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2012

• .
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2012

• LOL Quinn my DD is 22 and has not had door since she was almost 18, if ya cant respect me I owe you nothing.....and thats my DOOR!!! LOL, she is so used to it but I refuse to give in at this point.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2012

• You got great advice!

Answer by older at 8:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2012

• LMAO! When she gets her first place of her own you can give it to her as a housewarming gift.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2012

• A child who is disrespectful at 17 was probably disrespectful at 15. A lot of parents try to be their kids friends before they have a handle on being a parent.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2012

• Thanks guys! I am such a sucker when it comes to parenting sometimes. I don't like it when the kids are mad at me but I think I will use at least 1 suggestion, like the bedroom door! I like that the most!
    mstonya38

Comment by mstonya38 (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2012

• I love all the above advice. If shes going to be a little (bleep)then take her things away.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 8:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2012