• In the Spotlight:

What do I do???

My MIL is sick, running a 102 degree fever, and feeling very down in the dumps about it. I'm three months pregnant, and my hubby and I have a 2 year old son. MIL is lonely being at home sick, and wants us to come over to have dinner with her to cheer her up. If I tell her I'm afraid to do this she will be upset, but none of us can afford to get sick. What do I do? She's already called the hubby three times begging him to leave work and come over to see her (she's big on guilt trips, but we love her nonetheless). Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• I wouldn't go. I'm a huge germaphobe!!!!!!
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 3:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Aw... Poor lady. I am sorry that she is ill, but you certainly should not take yourself or your son there. Cook a meal and let your husband take it over. He can even sit and visit a few minutes. But when he gets home he needs to shower and wash his clothing and to scrub his hands very carefully.

Answer by Bmat at 4:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I'd go see her. Once cold flu symptoms get bad the virus is out of the system. The symptoms can last days after the virus is gone. Go pay the old lady a visit.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• OH BOY...seems like a cry for attention to me. Sorry to sound harsh. It just seems like something my selfish self centered mother in law would do. Tell your husband to go and see his mom and you and the baby stay home. Maybe you can make her dinner and send it with the hubby.

Why would she want the sick baby and you around her while she's sick?
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 4:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• The health of you and your family are more important. Be diplomatic when you tell her how you feel, but don't beat around the bush either. She must have other friends, suggest that one/some of them come visit and plan to come over as soon as she's no longer contagious.

Perhaps she could join CafeMom and fill her days here! =D
    BruisedEggplant

Answer by BruisedEggplant at 5:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2009