Do you have any...

Family traditions for the holidays?

jazmya_mom

Asked by jazmya_mom at 4:18 AM on Sep. 10, 2012 in Holidays

• We have traditions for all the holidays we celebrate, many of which were passed down from my parents, some different.

Answer by missanc at 6:48 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• My inlaws usually do the 2nd night of Rosh Hashannah. I'm doing the 1st night. We are getting together with friends for the Yom Kippur break-fast. No traditions just getting together with family and friends. All holiday's revolve around some kind of meal. We Jews love to eat. That's it.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 6:49 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• for Christmas- it's baking and decorating sugar cookies - Me making a giant pan of homemade lasagna for dinner, and driving around to look at the lights on Christmas Eve
    oh -and the kids get one gift on Christmas Eve too...and of course watching as much holiday related stuff as possible! ;)
    *******

For New Years- we always have steak and lobster or crab for dinner- (as a kid we always had pork and sauerkraut) and I always watch the parade

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:09 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• Only with my mom and that part of the family. We open one present at a time and go either oldest to youngest or youngest to oldest. Most annoying tradition EVER!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:32 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• In some manners we do have traditions such as my MIL will do Thanksgiving dinner..
    I do Christmas dinner the Saturday/week before Christmas bc I do not like my family
    traveling with small children on Christmas when that day is meant for the children...
    Christmas eve we set up for Santa (tho my 11 yr old does it for the fun of it now) and put our
    Christmas "Magic" key out..lol... and of course the deer food outside... (which most of the other neighborhood
    animals will eat over night)....
    Christmas day is strictly us here at home.. phone calls to family or online skpe to other friends and family across the
    country/world... and an nontraditional dinner that our grandson will choose weeks before for me to make.. oh and yes
    grandson and I normally do NOT get out of our pj's the whole day....
    And none of the decorations come down until Jan 3. they go up day after Halloween comes down...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• We have traditions or same oh same oh things we do yrly for other smaller holidays or
    non holiday events that come around yrly...
    Such as Halloween ... T & T is from 5:30 - 7PM yrly no matter the day it falls on ...
    The first weekend in June yrly we have our towns festival and I have a 2 day yard sale
    with the big day (always a Saturday) having an open house bbq at my place with that being
    the start of our Summer....
    We always have a bbq July 4th and an End of Summer bbq in August... these are and have been
    traditionally us for more than 10 yrs now.... and ppl have come to expect them...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:29 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• Yes
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 17, 2012

• Christmas eve we light a candle and put it in the window for The Baby's parents to light their way. Then hot chocolate, home made cookies by the fire with the tree lights on and watching Christmas movies.
    kbpegasus

Answer by kbpegasus at 6:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2012

• just the usual get together for dinner & gift opening & of course watching the classic cartoon/movie's on TV
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2012