If you were a female who wears tzitzit...

Would you be offended if a coworker, in a nice way, asked you why?

o0orange0o

Asked by o0orange0o at 6:56 AM on Sep. 10, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• I haven't had the nerve to ask her, but I've learned there are Torah-observant Christians who wear them. So, I'm just going to go with that, lol.
    o0orange0o

Comment by o0orange0o (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2012

• Well this question motivated me to do some research.  Here is a picture & definition.

The fringe tassels themselves are called tzitzit. Their strings and knots are a physical representation of the Torah's 613 do's and don'ts. It works like this: Each letter in the Hebrew alphabet has a corresponding numerical value. The numerical values of the five letters that comprise the Hebrew word tzitzit add up to 600. Add the eight strings and five knots of each tassel, and the total is 613.

Wearing tzitzit is a sign of Jewish pride.

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2012

• If I get up the nerve to ask her, I will report back.
    o0orange0o

Comment by o0orange0o (original poster) at 9:12 AM on Sep. 14, 2012

• No, just as I'm not offended if someone asks me why I wear a wig.
    But I can't understand why any woman would like to wear them. And if she's not Jewish, I would be really curious

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2012

• I would not be offended if asked why.
    LadyLotus3

Answer by LadyLotus3 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 12, 2012

• Not a clue. I'm really curious, but I don't want to be rude.
    o0orange0o

Comment by o0orange0o (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• Could she be one of those Jews for Jesus fanatics?
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 1:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• Robin, the odd thing is, she's made comments about Jesus that seem to indicate that she's not even Jewish. Maybe I misunderstood her comments and she's a convert and doesn't understand the rules and customs. I don't know if it makes a difference, but she's black. Is there a specific sect of black converts that does these things?
    o0orange0o

Comment by o0orange0o (original poster) at 7:22 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• As a fellow Jew I would wonder why a female would want to wear tzittzit? Women are not obligated and once you start you become obligated to do so. I do see women in my synagogue wearing tallasim on Shabbat, but not on a daily basis. I do believe I've never seen women rabbi's never wearing them.

If I was religious and wanted to I wouldn't be offended. I'd use it as a way to educate others.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:03 AM on Sep. 10, 2012