At what age is it ok to put things in their crib?

I was wondering at what age do you think its ok to let a baby sleep with a blanket, stuffed animal things like that? I don't want to do it too soon but I dont want to deprive him if its ok at this age. My ds is 8 months.

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 4:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I put stuff in my twins cribs when they were like 4 months. I know that "experts" recommend against (until I think 1 years old?) but I never worried much about it. They've been sleeping with stuff ever since (they're almost four)
    loyo3000

Answer by loyo3000 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My daughter has slept with blankets and stuffed animals since birth, and her pediatrician was fine with that. I can't imagine putting a baby to bed without covering her up! That's just my opinion, though. I know many people who don't cover their kids up. It's all about what you're comfortable with.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 4:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• That is a HUGE it's-up-to-the-parents thing.

If you're comfortable putting something in with your son, go for it. If you don't feel safe doing it, don't.

Ours always had blankets and when they started moving around well...their bedtime bears. That's what we were comfortable with, though...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Honestly I have had things in his crib since he started sleeping in his crib at about 3 months. I clear out half of the crib and stack all his blankets and stuffed animals on the other side. He always stays in his spot all night though. I rarely have a blanket covering him but he's usually always swaddled. I've even put a pillow in there a few times to elevate him. His crib is right next to our bed so I can see him while he's sleeping and his face is never near anything he can suffocate on. If it gets even close (which it hardly ever does) I move it. He's a very still sleeper though. Always on his back, always in one place all night. I think that's why I'm not concerned.
    Anonymous

• I agree w/ starlee, whenever your confortable mine started around 1 month old and yes, I too cover her her. She doesn't move that much and I sleep in the room with her for now so I can keep an eye & hear her.
    Anonymous

• I've put blankets on him since he was born. (he hated being swaddled tightly) but I haven't put animals in there. For me...I don't want to introduce that, cause he'll just play with them instead of sleeping. (forgot a toy in there once...he cried for a few minutes and then got quiet. I went in to cover him up with the blanket...and he was sitting there playing. lol ) :) Now..I use baby blankets. One time when I was at work, my grandma put a full size blanket on him (I work nights) and when I checked on him...he had wrapped himself up...that scared me..and I told her not to use those again. (or a pillow...had to stop that one too).
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Toys -- at 1 month.
    Pillows -- we don't.
    Blankets -- since about 4 months, but if we put them ON her, she can't sleep. We let her cover herself when she wants. She usually just eats them. :P

She's almost 7 months now.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 6:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2009