Teachers in Chicago public schools are on strike!

They want more money,like always. They should fire all the teachers and hire new ones!! The teachers only seem to care about the money! If they cared about the kids,they would not strike!!! I feel really sorry for the kids!

dancer

Asked by dancer at 7:12 AM on Sep. 10, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• In other news, water is wet and the sky is blue. I don't think there's ever been a graduating class in Chicago schools that didn't get at least one strike-induced extra "vacation" in their school career.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:25 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• The average teacher salary in my county is around $64K. And that is with their insurance covering 100% and them paying nothing for it out of their paychecks....and getting 2-3 summer months off and Christmas break, every Holiday known to man, etc. Plus they are given an allowance to purchase supplies for their classrooms.

It seriously bugs me when people talk about how "underpaid" they are.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:27 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• In other news,--

LOL! just wait, NP...your favorite spammer will post about it in a couple days, too, like she just woke from a coma. haha.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:30 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• A 30% pay raise? WTF
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• sorry but you're an idiot. So you have any idea what they even make? They are way underpaid.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:12 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• LostSoul88-my niece is a teacher,so yeah,I have an idea of what they make.
    dancer

Comment by dancer (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• The average in Utah is $42,586. Utah has mainly year round schools so they dont have that 2-3 summer breaks they work all year long. The dont get paid during the times they do have off. My sister is a teacher.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• AllaboutKeeley, how many years and how much schooling did they have to do to get to that point though? As far as allowances, I am sure many spend their own money that the allowances do not cover.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• Did you also know that since the schools budget is so damn low they cant afford to get all the supplies. Most of the time teachers are required to provided all of their own supplies and teacher materials. They have to pay for it out of their own money. So please explain to me how they are paid enough. When my sister started working as a teacher she started at 32k.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 10, 2012

• The average teacher salary in our School District is $62,108. High school average $71,220, Middle school $69,750, Elementary $66,170. As far as the teachers purchasing the supplies my GS's did not. my daughter bought a long list of supplies for the year and even donated extras as many others did.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:43 AM on Sep. 10, 2012