Can some one please help with this?

Today is Friday and suppose to start enjoying the weekend right?
Well I just picked my kids up got home and started to look in the backpacks.
My daughter who is in KG. and 5 yrs. of age is doing below average she does not pay attention to the directions she is being told, but yet at home she does good.
And my son who is a second grader 7 yrs. of age is using inappropiate language.
He moved his folder 3 times this week and we talked to him and here we are Friday and again he does it today. What is it going to take to get these kids to listen and understand :( I have taking their privileges away and time outs and stuff they don't like to do and still it doesn't phase them. Dad is always at work but when he is at home they listen for the moment he is here. Do you have any other suggestions???
I am so disappointed in them :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• discipline is the key here. of course they aren't listening, oh no! mom isn't gonna let me watch cartoon! come on! that's not motivation to listen!

I'm a bit confused though... he's in trouble for moving a folder in his backpack???
    Anonymous

• LOL...NO He moves his folder when he does something negative in class the teacher has a folder and writes down what he did wrong. for the week and at the end of the week he brings it home.(the class) that is what they call it or say it .....Mommy I moved my folder today...wah! then I have to talk to him about it, then I send it back to school.
    Right now I have them sitting at the sofa with the tv off and no talking until I am done with CM....lol
    or until daddy gets home :)
    Anonymous

• Could it be that your kids are bored in school or that they are not getting enough individual attention? Kids tend to act out when they are frustrated, bored or scared. You may try talking to them to see if any of these are the case. I would also institute a reward type system. In our house, we use a jar that we fill with pebbles for good behavior. You may want to do something like that with them and get their teacher in on it. Every day that your daughter listens & pays attention, she gets to put a pebble (Hershey kiss, M&M or whatever) into the jar. Same thing with your son. When their jars are full, they get a special reward. If they have a bad day, one item gets taken out of the jar.
    caitandcarasmom

Answer by caitandcarasmom at 4:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with a small taste of Ivory soap in the mouth for foul language and a good spanking for obvious disobedience. My daughter talked back to me ONE TIME, I washed her mouth out with soap and we haven't had a problem since (and this was four years ago!). But a good spanking for disobedience, once you've told them what they did wrong and asked them what the correct response should have been, works wonders. There are bad consequences for bad actions! And sometimes the consequences are painful. You are not teaching your child to "hit". You are teaching them that bad behavior earns harsh consequences....not just now, but when they grow up as well. "Time out" is a good practice for prison...I used to work as a missionary in a prison and asked, so I know. Most of the men there will tell you their parents put them in time outs or beat them. A spanking is not a beating. It is loving discipline!
    Anonymous

• what worked for me is a reward chart. you put the things on the chart that you want the kids to do or accomplish and give them seven spaces for that week. each day if they do the required thing they get a sticker 4 that day. at the end of the week they should have seven stickers,thats when they get a reward. it can be any thing fun or something that they want. if they don't get seven stickers, don't dwell on that , just be very encouraging and they can try again next week and remind them of what is expected of them.
    mika0101

Answer by mika0101 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My daughter use to have a really low attention span in kindergarten also, she is 2nd now. But i put her in title I program which helped alot! They take the kids to a room with one on one learning time so they are not tempted to talk or play. She has done alot better and nno longer needs to be in it. As for your 6 year old tell him once and then let him learn his lesson after that. That is what i would do.
    Katilina

Answer by Katilina at 10:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I have 3 out of my 4 in school right now, Kind - 2nd. My Kindergardener loves school can't get enough, he'll yell at me if I don't help him with his homework right away. My 1st grader does well with math but it's hard to get him to use good writing skills and trying to get him to do reading work is sometimes hard. But my 2nd grader is getting enough but not too much homework coming home. She gets frustrated with math. She's awesome in reading and spelling. But math is like pulling teeth. It's come down to the TV off, sitting at the table untill everything is finished even threw all the fits and crying and huffing. When she finally calms down it gets done, this goes on in spurts. One fit in about two weeks, the following days usually goes good but when the fits come it makes for a LONG night. And usually if I threaten for them to do homework with their father they seem to get things done, he spanks.
    Sadielg

Answer by Sadielg at 12:04 AM on Feb. 7, 2009