Buying your adult child something for their birthday?

i told the women i work with that im sending my daughter (who will be 20 on the 18th) that im sending her money to help her with her tattoo shes planning...i dont think its a bad thing...i was going to let her get one when she was 17, but she changed her mind because she didnt like the design anymore (it was a spur of the moment idea) but shes been planning this one since 2010 (when she found out she was pregnant) she just finished the design and emailed it to me it looks really cute, its for her son to so that makes it meaningful

so do you think its wrong of me to send my dd money to help with her tattoo

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• nope
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• You are sending her money she can do what ever se wants with that gift.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• No, my mom puts money into my account on my birthday. Now, it might not be for a tattoo, but she gives me $30 to spend how I wish. Whether that is going out to dinner, a new shirt, tattoo money, or just putting it towards a bill, that is my choice.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2012

• I am 30, my husband is 36. our folks *always* give us something for our b-day. it doesn't feel odd to any of us. they're still our moms/dads and they still love to see our faces light up!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:10 AM on Sep. 15, 2012

• There is nothing wrong with that.
    I feel bad for my husband, as his mother stopped buying him anything for his birthday once we had kids.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:38 AM on Sep. 11, 2012

• I love that my mom still sends me gift cards on my bday. Don't listen to your coworkers.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• If that's what you want to give her, there's nothing wrong with it. My mom gives me a birthday present every year yet - I doubt she'd give me cash for a tattoo though (cuz that's just not her, lol!).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• So you send her money, period. She is supposed to spend it how she likes, right? So, she wants this tattoo.
    Or she says this isthe tattoo design I really want to get wheI can afford it. You say Gee honey you birthday is next week and I will chip in X$ so you can get the tattoo that you want.

What is the difference?

None.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• Tell your co workers that the only thing wrong with this scenario, is they are being too dang judgmental! Why would they care what you choose to give your adult child for her birthday? I think THAT"S weird.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• I paid a Visa bill with last year's monetary gift from my parents...a gift is a gift!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2012