Buying your adult child something for their birthday?

i told the women i work with that im sending my daughter (who will be 20 on the 18th) that im sending her money to help her with her tattoo shes planning...i dont think its a bad thing...i was going to let her get one when she was 17, but she changed her mind because she didnt like the design anymore (it was a spur of the moment idea) but shes been planning this one since 2010 (when she found out she was pregnant) she just finished the design and emailed it to me it looks really cute, its for her son to so that makes it meaningful

so do you think its wrong of me to send my dd money to help with her tattoo

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Why would it be wrong to give your child a birthday gift by contributing to something she wants and you are fine with...

ignore the people you work with!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• You are sending her cash so that she can do something that she wants. I see NO problems with it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• not wrong at all. shes an adult, she told you what she wants for her bday & you are giving her what she wants. its not like you are opposed to the tattoo & sending her money...that would be wrong.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• i dont know why the women i work with thinks its a bad thing, i mean she told me she wanted skirts for her birthday or a new camera but i chose to send her money for the tattoo *shrugs* my dd loves tattoos, i guess my co workers dont understand that
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• Ditto Coala! My parents usually send me money for my birthday even if i don't ask for anything and it is always nice to have a little extra cash to spend on YOURSELF. I also like getting flowers too though lol :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• I paid a Visa bill with last year's monetary gift from my parents...a gift is a gift!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• Tell your co workers that the only thing wrong with this scenario, is they are being too dang judgmental! Why would they care what you choose to give your adult child for her birthday? I think THAT"S weird.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• So you send her money, period. She is supposed to spend it how she likes, right? So, she wants this tattoo.
    Or she says this isthe tattoo design I really want to get wheI can afford it. You say Gee honey you birthday is next week and I will chip in X$ so you can get the tattoo that you want.

What is the difference?

None.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• If that's what you want to give her, there's nothing wrong with it. My mom gives me a birthday present every year yet - I doubt she'd give me cash for a tattoo though (cuz that's just not her, lol!).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• I love that my mom still sends me gift cards on my bday. Don't listen to your coworkers.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2012