How to get a toddler to realize that not all toys are hers.

My daughter thinks every toy in this house is hers (even the ones meant for little babies). I am at my wits end with her freaking out on her brother for touching the toys. My child is very stubborn, strong willed, and just all over difficult, so far no punishments have worked for her.
Help!

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 7:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can't. Just keep reinforcing sharing. Eventually it will sink in. Have you ever seen this?

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• She's 2. There isn't a whole lot that you can do except for reinforce what you have been doing. Sharing is good, no honey that's the baby's toy, etc…until you are blue in the face, pulling your hair out and then she will find some other way to make you insane. It really has nothing to do with being willful as to being a toddler. "MINE!" and "NO!" are at the top of their job description, along with "NO, me do self!"
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• What SleepingBeautee said!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• kids learn by imitating what they see, so take every opportunity to show your child how to share. Offer him a bite of your meal or a chance to assist in the fun of decorating a cake. As you do, use the word "share" to describe your behavior. ("I'm eating a really good sandwich, and I'd love to share it with you. Would you like some?") When your toddler attempts to share, praise his efforts. Little by little, he'll drink in the positive reinforcement and feel good about repeating those actions that seem to make you so happy. Before long, he'll start sharing because it comes naturally.

d.wooldridge

Answer by d.wooldridge at 8:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• LOL, unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do. You could try putting a piece of duct tape of "HIS" toys and tell her that her toys do not have the tape... ??? Getting her to understand is the hard part.... It's part of the growing up process to want to possess everything...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• That is really good advice d.wool!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• She knows how to share, she will share food and cups and stuff, and she knows that she gets in trouble for taking things from her brother. We also work on "taking turns" but she still freaks out if he touches a toy. Shit I gave him a water bottle to play with, and freaked out and stole that too!
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• Buy new toys and tell her "No these are mommy's toys"

Then everytime she goes to play with them, do whatever she does and say "no, mine!"

Maybe that will induce sharing
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• You really need to watch some of Bill Cosby's standup routines.

They are hysterical and he is talking about the baby and she is taking her sister's things and there is crying and the baby is crying and he looks at the older child and says just give it to her, she has all of our things He can make such faces as he is explaining the joys of parenthood lol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2012