What should I expect at my child's first dentist appointment?

I'm really nervous about taking him to the dentist because it doesn't seem like the nicest or most kid-friendly place but I don't have time to change his provider before the school needs the dental records. What should I expect? I want to make sure they don't do anything unnecessary just because they don't want to deal with a young child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• our first visit was just a count the teeth look at overall health of them and go over proper care with her.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• they probably won't do xrays, unless there is something obviously wrong with his teeth. they'll most likely wait...xrays aren't comfortable, and for a first visit, they don't usually want to scare the LOs. plus, not all all their teeth may be in..they're gonna lose some anyway in a few years.
    they will count the existing teeth.
    clean/floss, instruct the LO how to brush and talk to him/her about the importance of cleaning their teeth.
    stuff like that. by all means, if you have any questions, ask the dentist or hygienist before you leave.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• Our first visit was when she was 1.

They were a childrens dental clinic, they brushed her teeth and put fluoride on.

It was fun.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• first visit for my kids happened at 2. They counted their teeth, looked inside really good, brushed them and did a little fluoride treatment. It was super non-invasive and should be pain free.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2012

• The kid will sit in the chair and go up and down. the dentist will "count" their teeth, while looking to see the health of their mouth. The hygienist may give a quick lesson on brushing and the importance of brushing. That's usually it. It takes all of about 15 min.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2012