My cat has a abcess!!!

My cat Tazzy Boo is 9 years old.for about a month now he's had a loose tooth(front fang).A few weeks ago it fell out.We thought he was fine.last few days we noticed him puking but just thought it was a hair ball.Or he was just sick with a stomache bug.We've been sick for about a week now,thought we just gave him the stomache bug.Since yesterday we noticed him puke green flem with white.Also noticed his mouth looks swollen.Now were putting 2 and 2 together with him being sick from his tooth.It also looks like his belly caved in like he hasn't eaten anything.we give them dry food all the time but give soft food twice a week for a snack.Is there anything we can do to make him feel comfortable until we can call his vet at 8 AM.Like anything for pain for him?or even if there is a cat oral gel.I just don't want him to be in pain all night.I am hoping someone is online right now that can help me!!!:(.Thanks sooo much in advance!!.

mommyjenn29

Asked by mommyjenn29 at 12:28 AM on Sep. 11, 2012 in Pets

• If he isn't bleeding, you can give him half a baby aspirin. You know, the chewable tablets. If you have Oragel for babies, it won't hurt to put that on your cat, too.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2012

• We just gave him oral gel.He is still not eating and were trying to get him to drink water also and he wont drink.We have a syringe.Should we put water in the syringe and make him eat and drink by using it or leave him alone for the rest of te night until his vet viit in the morning.

mommyjenn29

Comment by mommyjenn29 (original poster) at 1:06 AM on Sep. 11, 2012

• Do NOT use anything made for humans on cats or dogs without a vets approval. I know you are concerned but they are very sensitve to many things. If you have any sleepytime meds for him I would give him a dose if not I am sorry but I can not think of a can
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:18 AM on Sep. 11, 2012

• My guess is that he severely dehydrated if he isn't eating and drinking. Take the syringe and some plain pedialyte. Give him one tsp full of pedialyte. Squeeze it right in his cheek and hold his mouth until he swallows. Be gentle so to not hurt him further. If he keeps it down, repeat every hour. If he doesn't keep it down, wait four hours and try again. The most important thing is to get him re-hydrated.

Big hugs. Please let us know what happens.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:20 AM on Sep. 11, 2012

• And for future reference... cats don't get colds from humans. If your cat is sick take him to the vet right away.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:25 AM on Sep. 11, 2012

• You don't have any choice but to take him to the vet, but there are some things you can do now. The first is to rehydrate him. Plain pedialyte is good, but add about a tablespoon of karo or molasses to a cup. You need to get some sugar into him asap to counter the lack of eating and balance his metabolism as well as rehydrating him. You can also mix stage one chicken (baby food) half and half with molasses and offer a teaspoon once an hour, and the pedialyte every 15 minutes. If it were me I'd subq him, but most people can't do that.
    Next, mix water and peroxide (3 parts water, 1 part peroxide) and spritz it on the swollen area every few hours. Warning ~ he won't like it, but it will start to drain some of the infection. Leave a bowl of half chicken broth and half pedialyte out for him to drink if he wants to.
    Call the vet first thing in the morning ~ your cat can die from this. He needs antibiotics and possibly surgery.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:48 AM on Sep. 11, 2012

• We are gonna do the syringe with pedialyte and just wait until morning.He is laying on my husband cuddled up with him.under the blankets:).We are going as soon as they open at 8 AM.I will let every one know how he is doing tomorrow when we get back from the vet.I am thinking he has a abscess tooth and being dehydrated.So hopefully the medication they will give him plus IV fluids and he'll be back to his spunky self.And yes next time he has a tooth fall out or is sick right away we will be taking him or our other pets to the vet right away.He is our baby.We've had him since he was a kitten at 8 weeks old for 9 years.My husband brought him home when we first moved into together.We had him first before we had our children.

mommyjenn29

Comment by mommyjenn29 (original poster) at 1:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2012

• I hope he's okay.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:04 AM on Sep. 11, 2012

• We have a vet app at 9:45 this morning.He looks a little better were a little calmer today.But still not eating or drinking.When we get back we'll let every one know how he is doing.My whole house is sick also this is awful right now.My mom saw him this morning she is a human nurse but she thinks it's def for him a abscess.Anybody touches his one side of his face where his fang is missing he flinches.

mommyjenn29

Comment by mommyjenn29 (original poster) at 8:33 AM on Sep. 11, 2012

• Any update? Hope he is okay!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2012