How do you determine where you want to live?

My hubby is Air Force, and may be doing a 12 month unaccompanied tour soon. This would give us the opportunity to choose our base of preference when he returns. We have a couple bases we are looking at. One of the bases is very near family (3 hours away), is a good city for raising kids in, and we have friends who are stationed there. But the school systems are very bad. The other base is about 6 hours from the majority of our family, but my sister and her hubby and daughter live there, and the schools are excellent, and its a good city to raise family in. The cons of that base are that it is a very very large base, and the crime rate in that city is higher than in the other one. How would you make that decision? We have kids who will be in elementary, middle school, and high school at the time we move there.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 5:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Between the two I'd go with Texas. Of course I don't have family to think about. But there is a ton of things to do.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 9:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Tough choice. I'd pick good schools. You can control alot of the safety issues, but you can't control the school system.

What are your choices? Just curious.

Good luck with your decision.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 7:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Barksdale in Louisiana, and Lackland (or any of the other bases) in San Antonio. My sister is in San Antonio, and it's great because there is tons of stuff to do, and the school on Lackland is great, but Barksdale is closer to home, and we have friends there and we like Shreveport!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2009