Do you ever consider that what you could consider a blessing, could be a hardship on another?

Today we were talking about "blessings" in a bible study I attend. One woman stated that when she gets a parking place in front of where she needs to go, she considers that a blessing. And that God is giving her what she needs. I thought about that for a while and said "I would guess that that would not be such a blessing for the mom of three behind you trying to find a place" or "the woman using crutches"

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 1:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sure. Some people think all pregnancies are a blessing while sometimes the pregnant party has to worry about if and how to provide. There are millions of examples of this.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• That is a very good point.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• True in that way, my blessing are personal and affect others in a good way so they tell me. Also like organ donation someone died for that. I would not want that blessing.
    mto3821

Answer by mto3821 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• Well, that got me thinking even more and I have decided that my being a blessing to someone else will be more in the forefront for me. I made a promise to myself and God that when something like that comes up in the future, that I recognize it as an opportunity to do for others. Instead of taking that front space, I will just drive past it in hopes that it will go to someone who needs it more than me.
    I'm in the process of rethinking some things at this point in my life and I am finding some chain reactions going on and i thought I'd share
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• ..^plus, you'll get a little extra exercise!
    the way i see it, its a bit yin/yang..there's always a counter. what would be a huge blessing for me right now, would be for a job opening to occur, and i get called for it. of course, that would mean someone else is without..maybe. or maybe they moved on to better things. i think the thing for me to do is recognize the blessings and the positives more, rather than dwell on the negatives of my life.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:14 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• and i get called for it. of course, that would mean someone else is without..
    >>>
    I don't know that I'd take it that far. All things being equal
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• yeah...like if i find $20 on the ground my first thought is "sweet!" and then i remember that someone lost that $20.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• I do not complain if I do not get a closer spot even though I need it badly, I tell DH cant make it and he takes care of things He is a blessing.
    mto3821

Answer by mto3821 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• Considering a good parking space a "blessing" seems like a very strange thing to me. On the one hand, I figure the person who sees it that way is probably just being very positive; on the other, doesn't that imply that not getting one is some kind of holy censure of everyone who doesn't?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• All the time, and vice versa.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2012