RSV

I posted a ? on here last night, and wanted the ladies to know that it is RSV and they ave put him on a steriod.The Dr. said that his lungs sound good tho.Any tips on how to make him feel better and get well faster?I'm not sure why they put him on antibiotics, but maybe it will help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• RSV is an infection and that's what the antibiotics are for. It more or less has symptoms like a cold. You'll need to keep the head propped up a little so he/she can breathe and suction its nose out if needed. An occasional tylonol or baby ibprofen for fever. I'm sure the doctor gave you directions of this nature.
    musicgirl77

Answer by musicgirl77 at 5:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• If you can keep him propped up it will help him breath better. So maybe you can put him in his carseat to help him breath easier. Use saline and a nasal aspirator to help suction him out. Are they doing a nebulizer treatment to help with breathing?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• his dr. said it wasnt bad enough for that, but to let him know if it gets worse
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry it's RSV, but glad to hear he's getting a more appropriate treatment!

Do what you would do for a "normal" cold....

elevate his head
    humidifier (steam or cool mist whichever works better for him)
    steam in the shower and suction
    saline nasal drops and suction
    Tylenol for discomfort/fever

Be careful how much you suction. If you can't see it, don't go after it. That can cause the nasal passages to swell and make it more difficult for him to breathe.

No, the antibiotic will do nothing for RSV. It is a virus and antibiotics don't do anything for viruses.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• The antibiotic is to help protect him while hes on the steroid. Steroids can leave the body more prone to infection and so while the doc is helping treat the RSV with the steroid, the antibiotic helps protect him from catching something else while hes at risk (like bacterial pneumonia)
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Um..he's been on the antibiotic for a few days already. It was given before they knew it was RSV, before he started steroids.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• they prolly gave antibiotics thinkign it was a sinus infection. happened w/ my oldest the second time she got it (last week). also if he is really conjested and u dont have a humidifier, sit with him in the bathroom as u run a hot shower to kind of steam him. my 2 dd have rsv right now, but they are old enough they dont have to be hospitalized for it.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 7:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• RSV produces a very thick mucus that can clog up the airways.. smaller the child the smaller the airways. I would have your child sleep upright if possible - swing or carseat - and run a cool-mist vaporizer nearby. Suctioning may also help but I agree with an above response not to do it too often as it may increasingly irritate the nasal passages. The most important thing you can do is watch for signs of respiratory distress and if you fear he is having difficulty breathing, take him to the ER. Things to look for: blue around nails/mouth, sucking in of skin between ribs, more than 60 breaths per minute, general concern he's struggling to breath. Trust your mommy instincts!! More than likey he will be just fine, but you can never be too cautious. My son was hospitalized for 33 days for RSV as a newborn, so I understand too well how scary it can be. Best of luck!
    julesr475

Answer by julesr475 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2009