What can you do when your child has homework but cries bc he tries to do it but don't understand it? :(

My ds11 has home work and practice and I guess he was feeling overwhelmed I told him to do his best and only do half and after practice take a bath, eat and come back and finish it.
He said ok, I guess he felt better bc he didn't look too worked up anymore.

I just need to be there for him...but not do it for him either...I kind of felt bad for him but I had to be strong bc I cold of easily said don't do it and relax, instead WE met halfway ;)

Thanks ladies for your input ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• You set up a parent teacher meeting ASAP and figure out why he is not understanding the homework and voice your concerns.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• My grandson refused to do his homework saying he just doesn't understand it. I asked if I could see it. I started going over it working it out on scrap paper talking aloud about my steps. He quit watching tv and came over to see what I was doing. I got him involved and before you knew it he was doing it all. His teacher wasn't explaining it in a way he could understand. Try a sample question yourself and work through it together. That might build his confidence to finish it himself.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• Can you get him a tutor?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• Really when it comes to education, it starts with the parents! Teacher have their job to teach but it is our responsibility to reinforce the knowledge they were taught. Personally, I don't expect my kids to come home and know or understand all of their homework, however I am there to help them understand it better. I don't give answers, but help guide them to the answer themselves.
    I understand kids get involved with activities, and have practices to attend to, but in my house education is first and foremost, my kids would not have gone to practice without the homework finished first. When they come home they have to do their homework, study spelling words, practice math facts, then they get free time, and before bed they read for at least 20 mins. A little later in the year, The boys and girls club will open the after school program, which has a homework help lab, then my girls will be able to attend 2 days a week
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 7:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• *Teachers not teacher... typo
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 7:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• I make sure they have enough sleep to begin with, and thankfully at open house their teachers gave us all their phone numbers and said we can call anytime - haven't had to yet this year. Also having food in their belly helps, to avoid blood sugar drops which cause other issues. Sounds like you handled it well.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• sheloveearth

LOVE your answer!!

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• You have to let him do it on his own. If he fails he will learn from his mistake and won't make it again in the future. You may want to drop the teacher a line and let her know that he is having some difficulty.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• I would help him and if I didn't undstand what was expected I would ask the teacher if he / she knew of a tutor or had additional instructional time my child could participate in.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2012

• Looks like you have it covered.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2012