Vents....

My daughter is crawling around all over the place now, and almost immediately heads for floor vents. Its not like I can get covers for them... I usually just let her, and sit really close to her, but I am so scared she will get her fingers stuck... Any advice?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 5:19 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Block them off with a gate or something elce so she can't get to the vents.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 5:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• They are in the middle of the floor... She would just pull the gate over... And I cant cover them, because, well, they are vents. lol
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 5:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i have the same problem lol...if you find the secret let me know. For now i would just watch her or try and interest her in sum-n else.
    Anonymous

• I'm going to get yelled at for this...but here goes. My son was like that. I tapped his hands (lightly) and said, "ouch, no" so that he associated me saying no with something that could hurt him. Most of the time all I have to do now is say no and he stops.
    (And no one bash me...don't get her question deleted. I answered...I'm going now) :)
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• lol srenee.... I feel ya, Its a little sensitive on here. I have tried saying no to her, and it works when she plays with the blinds (for the sliding glass door), but shes a little more determined with the vents. Thanks...
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 5:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• from what i have looked up and such it just says to secure them so she cant pull them off
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 5:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I hate to say this, but maybe you should just her be, and if she happens to get her finger stuck, she probably won't do it again.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Yah...my son listens on some things...but he LOVES my grandma's books! LOL... :) I guess... good luck...with whatever you decide to do! :) It's unbelievable how stubborn they can be! :)

And SandraB383...there are some things I've let my son do...knowing that he'd get hurt...oh it's so hard... (like when he stands against the chair...) sigh...he gets hurt...I comfort him. (I'm always there to make sure he doesn't get hurt badly) and then he doesn't do that again for a while. :)
    It's so hard though.... to let them hurt themselves...but the more you say no and redirect him...the more he wants whatever it is. :}
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 5:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Are they the slat vents or the cris cross ones that make a small square? If they are slats then i doubt she'll get stuck....Maybe tie some pretty ribbons on the vent so that when it blows she will be more intrested in the ribbons standing up in the air than the vent itself. And even if they don't blow then she will be pulling on/playing with the ribbons and not put her fingers in the vent. Or even show her that when the vent is on that a balloon will float above it and she can stay busy watching the balloon and when the vent is off then "uh oh, ballon time is over. we need to wait for balloon time again" so that she is only intrested in the air the vent blows and not the vent itself.

ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Oh my gosh, ozarkgirl you are sort of a genius... I am so gonna try the ribbon/balloon thing! Thank!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2009