is it normal for my 1 year old 2 sleep this much

k so remmi goes 2 bed at 8 and sleeps tell about 5 and i give her some water and she goes back te sleep tell anywhere from 8-10 am. then within a hr of waking up she wants a nap she sleeps for 2 hrs some times 3 then is up for about 2 hrs and wants a nother nap she sleeps like another 2 hrs and with in 2 hrs of waking up is sleepy again. i don't let her sleep after 5 but she is always sleeping and tired. she wont eat meat like sometimes can get her 2 eat chicken so i thought maybe she has low iron or something i am having it checked at her apt on the 15th but i was just wondering is it normal for her 2 still sleep this much?

Remmismommy

Asked by Remmismommy at 5:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my DS never slept that much and niether does my DD who is 16 months she usually takes one nap a day and its a small one its hard for her to slep because of her brother and then my DS doesnt take any naps and only sleeps in until around 7am that seems like A LOT of sleep to me

my DS is a picky eater as well he doesnt like meat either with the exception of hot dogs and chicken nuggests but any other kind of meat forget it! But i try and give him what we are having and he usually tells us no but i give it to him anyway and if he throws it on the floor( grr trying to break that habit) or feeds it to the dog (trying to break that one too) then i know he wont eat and i usually make something else I know he will like ...although i have been able to get him to eat fish sticks...lol and my DD isnt picky at all she eats anything and everything
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• It sounds to me like she she sleeps a lot, but I really don't know, you'd have to ask a doctor. I think my 14 month old sleeps a lot, but she doesn't sleep THAT much. she sleeps 12-14 hours at night and has a 3 hour nap during the day.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• wow..That sounds like a lot of sleeping to me.. and not Normal! You should take her to the doctor and discuss it with him.
    VERONICACP

Answer by VERONICACP at 5:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• What are you feeding her?

Are you feeding her a lot of fruits? These are very easy on digestion...which is a good thing. Lay off the meat/wheats etc a bit and encourage more fruit.

She is only a year old and should really be predominantly milk fed anyway. My son is 14 months and is just really starting to pick up the food intake which is predominantly fruit. He has one little nap during the day and then 12 hours at night.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• she eats what everu eat but wont eat meat she doenst like it. she doesnt eat aot she is a verry small adn picky eater. i dont force her 2 eat if she doesnt want to. she is on stage 2 formula sence she doesnt eat alot i want her 2 get what she needs
    Remmismommy

Answer by Remmismommy at 6:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I was told kids should sleep for at least 14 hours a day until they are 2. I think yours is fine. If she wants to sleep let her sleep. However, maybe (just a idea) is tired of the same rutine.
    DS loved (and still does) his sleep. There was a time where he would want to go to bed 2-3 hours after waking up. However at his babysitters, she was able to keep him awake a lot longer. I think it was because he had more to do over there and another kid to play with. Where as at home, we didn't have set times for different activities. He is now 21mo and has recently been switched to 1 nap a day. He does pretty good for the most part. He does get grumpy for us sometimes, so we have to find something for him to do and destract him.
    tln1

Answer by tln1 at 7:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I don't know... My daughter never slept that much, but She's 21 months now and sleeps a total of 16 hours a day... She sleeps about 14 at night and then a 2 hour nap! Sorry i can't help...
    HeatherM0529

Answer by HeatherM0529 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I followed Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth to help my twins.
    According to the author, it's normal for babies to be ready to sleep after two hours of wakefullness.
    I would recommend waking her up for the day by 7 and moving her bed time up to 7 as well. That way she can still get her two naps: one at 9a.m. and the other at 1p.m. plus she'll get the sleep she needs at night.
    Discuss it with the pediatrician.
    Continue to offer her a variety of healthy foods. Toddlers can be picky. This is normal. She'll come around eventually.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 10:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My sons pediatrician told me that toddlers need about 15 hours of sleep a day because they are growing so much. I think if you are really concerned then you should take her to her doctor but I wouldn't be too concerned.
    OmsYankeeMama

Answer by OmsYankeeMama at 1:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2009