Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Applying for money from the government???

I'm 24, live with my parents, work full time and go to school. My son's father rarely pays child support, and im currently in the process of taking him back to court. My son has insurance through public aid, and I was thinking about requesting cash through them too. This is only because im struggling right now. Have any of you been through this? What can I expect?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Sep. 12, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (5)
  • You would not be accepted because your living with your parents so the case would go under there name and im shure they wont qualify because they can afford to pay the living expense im sorry :(

    Answer by LostInMyMind at 12:24 AM on Sep. 12, 2012

  • The way I see it, no hurt in simply filling out the application form. Either you'll be denied or will qualify. Only one way to find out. To the best of my knowledge, all you have to do is go into your local Human Resources/Social Services office and fill out a form...probably have to provide certain documents like forms of ID and paystubs.

    Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 12:48 AM on Sep. 12, 2012

  • In a case like this you could possible still receive some type of aid no matter your living situation. As long as you can prove that you are supporting your self and your child, with minimum help from anyone else. Best of luck to you, the worst thing can only be them to deny you.


    Answer by waitin4u at 1:15 AM on Sep. 12, 2012

  • Go in and try. You might also get food stamps, depending on your living situation. If your parents charge you rent, take proof of that when you apply. Also ID, pay stubs, and mail sent to you personally at your parents' address, so you can prove you live there. Also check into WIC, if your son is under five.

    Answer by Ballad at 2:22 AM on Sep. 12, 2012

  • Unless its dfferent in other states in Virginia, someone under the age of 22 living with their parents has to include their parents income too when applying for food stamps but not cash assistance.

    if you are working fulltime you will have too much income for cash assistance maybe even food stamps.
    You can check the website for the Social Services in your area, it should have the income limits posted, if not call your Medicaid case wroker to find out income limits and if you are not eligible for the programs ask what you can do to get help with child support.


    Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 12, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.