I have a sister-in-law who thinks her kids are the greatest. She brags and brags. How do get along with her at family functions without losing your mind?

KellyRene829

Asked by KellyRene829 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You should say, are you trying to convince yourself of that? Just kidding, (not really) ! one way to straighten out those lovely "elitist" personalities is to interject a few of your own brags; and end it with, I'm getting bored, bye-bye. People like this seldom get the sarcasm, so either way (I find) you only lose with these people.
    Bottom line, don't be too concerned with hurting her feelings by excusing yourself...she'll find someone else to stroke her ego!
    sharebearmomof2

Answer by sharebearmomof2 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Ignore her. If it's a family function, there's other people you can attach yourself to for entertainment.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 5:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I have an SIL that thinks her kids are angels. I just tune her out. Believe me, the more you practice it, the easier it is.
    JLee07

Answer by JLee07 at 5:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My youngest sister is that way. I just acknowledge her, so as not to be rude, then look for my other sister and excuse myself and go hang out with her. When she comes to join us, we just keep things light and happy.
    1daughter5sons

Answer by 1daughter5sons at 6:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• nod, smile, and find other people to talk to
    Anonymous

• I would pay no attention to what she says. I don't think she is purposely trying to "brag" maybe she is just proud of her kids. Or she could be a mom in such total denial she has to brag to make herself feel better about her kids. Just smile and focus on other people at the party.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:51 AM on Feb. 7, 2009