Have Any Moms been Pregnant and Breastfeeding a Toddler?

We plan on getting preggo in the next 6 months. My son's 16 months and nursing and I'd like to continue until he's 2ish. Are there any concerns that I should be aware of? How likely is it that my milk supply will diminish?

babyjakesmama

Asked by babyjakesmama at 5:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Heh, I'm in the same boat - my girl is 16 months and nursing, and we are in our 5th month of TTC.

I have done my research, and the main worries are the milk changes, some children will self wean if they don't like the taste - nipple pain, lots of women say it's very painful to nurse during pregnancy - and also milk supply decreasing.

Obviously there are other concerns only if you are at high risk during your pregnancy - but there are many thousands of women who have successfully breastfed their toddler through to the birth of their next child and lots who tandem nurse also with no preblems.

Good luck!
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I was pregnant and nursed my daughter, only for a couple months then she self weaned at 21 months.

Health concerns: not unless you are high risk. The stimulation to your uterus that breastfeeding may cause wont cause your body to go into labor.. especially before it's ready.

As for any other changes, sometimes the milk flavor will change and a toddler will self wean.. it happens but not all the time :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I'm nursing my 23 month old and due in a week so I'll be tandem nursing them. As long as you aren't at risk for pre-term labor you should be fine. This has been my easiest pregnancy so far. My son is still nursing quite often so the change in taste didn't bother him too much. I do make less on one side so sometimes he asks for the other side. I did have some sore nipples for a few weeks around 20 weeks and again a couple weeks ago(it only lasted for a couple days then). I had some problems with being a little touched out at times but that didn't last long either. I opted to night wean about 2 months ago, it was a simple process for us. I was worried I couldn't handle nursing two at night.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Oh and my supply is less. I don't think it dropped at all until around 25 weeks. And it has since turned to colostrum but that wasn't until around 35 weeks.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My son was 19 months old and I was 6 months pregnant when he self weaned. He wanted to try again after the baby was born so I let him and he had "forgotten" how. I have a friend who nursed through her entire pregnancy and tandem nursed both kids after the babe was born. As long as you don't have a history of preterm labor you should be fine to nurse throughout the pregnancy. There is a chance that the older child will wean because it changes back to colostrum around 6-7 months along and that tastes dramatically different. For me my nipples would sometimes get a little sore too and the whole touched out thing happened, but we cosleep and he had access all night. I night weaned when I was about 3 months along because of being touched out.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I nursed my oldest a couple of months after I became pregnant. He was a little over two, when he stopped. I didn't have any problems, my milk didn't diminish. So I don't know what else to tell ya.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 1:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2009