This is unfair my sister n law is homeless what should she do????

Sister n law just moved out of her first apartment ( which was low income) she sent cleaners in to clean the place .So she went to go pick up her keys to her new apartment Pg & E is already turned on. manager said she received her move out report from former manager and it said the carpet in her daughters room had a foul Oder . S0 she rather not take the risk renting to her because she paid 1,500 on the carpets. My sister n law calls her old manager and she says to her once you shampoo the carpets the old smell comes up so I had to put that down in writing. Is that fair? does anyone know what the rules are when it come to things like this? now my niece and her mother have no place to live !! what would you do?? can she sue ??? Who can she call?? Shes in california by the way!

MizfitMommy

Asked by MizfitMommy at 2:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2012 in Home & Garden

• Did she already sign a lease? If so the landlord will have to get a lawyer to get out of it,, I suppose she could offer a higher security deposit,, but if the contract is signed, it is a done deal.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2012

• I agree if she had signed the lease though I can't imagine why she would not have the keys so my guess is that she singed a agreement to be considered and had not yet signed a lease.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2012

• I don't understand she moved out without keys and a lease to the new place? Why would she do that? She can call the Section 8 office and see if there is a way to "fix" this. Good luck.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 21, 2012

• "Old smell" I am curious exactly what that means. Smells that were there before she moved in? Smells from something connected with your SIL and her daughter? Smells just because the carpet is too old?

It depends on the reason and SIL can ask the apartment manager to detail out the meaning in writing. She can also asked to have it faxed to the "new" manager.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2012

• did she sign a lease? If so they new manager can deny her entrance without that 30 day notice.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:59 AM on Sep. 21, 2012

• I agree with the PP...she needs to call HUD.
    Lb128f

Answer by Lb128f at 12:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2012