alright i feel guilty about smoking REVISED

i guess that i wasnt very clear on my first question I have never put my baby in an area where there is smoke when i do smoke i go outside with what i call the "smoke jacket" and throughly wash my hands everytime. i really didnt appreciate all the nasty comments i got i just wanted to know what it can do in the breastmilk and how it affects it. because other then that there is absolutley no smoke around him. I do understand how most of you feel I deffinetly feel that smoking in the house withur baby is wrong and selfish

LoganBear

Asked by LoganBear at 6:10 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is an honest question - why do you care about a "smoking jacket" and all that other stuff, when you are feeding that stuff straight to your baby? What difference does a smoking jacket make?

Once again, an honest question.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:28 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• im a smoker too. sometimes.

i go outside to smoke and i have that smoke-jacket too. ;)

i brush my teeth after every smoke and i wash my hands very good. because i do not want that my DD has to smell any kind of smoke.

i did not smoke when i was pregnant, nor did i smoke when i was breaskfeeding, because it will effect your breastmilk too.
    i wasnt a smoker for almost 3 years now. but due to personal problems and stress i just started to smoke again.

no smoke around my DD or i will become a real bitch. haha
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I smoke and breatsfeed too I try to only smoke as soon as I am done breastfeeding him though and yeah I dont have a smoke jacket but a smoke sweatshirt lol, dont feel bad the doctors didn't say anything to me about it except to not smoke around him wash my hands and change my shirt, and dont llisten to all these mommys on here who think that they ae holier than thou because everyone is different oh and if you want more info on bfing and smoking go to the kellymom.com website they have lots of good info
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• It's been shown that it is safer to breastfeed and be a smoker then to formula feed and be a smoker. Of course, it's always safest to quit or cut down.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• When my kids were in the NICU and we found out about my son's brain damage, I bought a pack of cigarettes and smoked some. My DH found the pack and went behind my back to talk to the neonatologist. She pulled information up for me and talked to me about it. I was ticked off, but I did listen to the useful info and here it is for you.

They know that the chemicals stay in your breast milk for 90 minutes after having a smoke. So, if you are going to smoke, at least time it right. Also, smoking decreases your milk supply and can make the milk taste bad.

sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Also keep in mind that the smell of smoke is an irritant, meaning that just the smell of it on you (and it's still on you, despite washing your hands, because it's in your hair and on your skin) can irritate him. It causes itchy, burning eyes, etc. So just because you smoke outside doesn't mean it isn't affecting your baby. I've never smoked but I understand it's a horrible addiction. I wish for your own health and that of your baby that you're able to quit successfully. :) Best wishes.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 6:36 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• "It's been shown that it is safer to breastfeed and be a smoker then to formula feed and be a smoker. "

Oh please......smoke is smoke. It's on your clothes, in your hair, on your skin and on your breath no matter how you feed the baby. Second hand smoke is second hand smoke...in the air or on something. It doesn't give a hang how a baby is fed!
    Anonymous

• Anonymous - the reason it is better to breastfeed and smoke as opposed to formula feed and smoke is because breastmilk is much healthier for your baby. The baby is getting the smoke either way but breastmilk has more benefits for your baby than man-made formula.
    dreaksgirl

Answer by dreaksgirl at 7:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I totally understand where you are coming from. i had the same issue. i didnt smoke my whole pregnancy, and for the first 4 months, but after watching some family members do it it made me want one so bad:( so i smoked for two months my son is 6 months now. i asked around too and no one knew for sure if it effected my milk but the WIC lady told me it doesnt. so who knows. but it can decrease your milk supply. but what got me to stop smoking this time was #1 my son would watch me through the sliding glass door, or look over at the door when it opened cuz he knew it was me, or watch me when i stood outside the car. i always washed my hands or used hand sanitizer and wear a different coat. but then my sister in law told me about 3rd hand smoking. she is a severe asthmatic and cant be around ciggerette smoke at all and she told me that 3rd hand smoking still effects those around you because its on your breath and pants Cont. next>
    Anonymous

• The other poster said "safer". She didn't say "healthier" or "has more benefits". She said "safer"

Exposure to the smoke no matter what a baby is drinking is dangerous, neither way is "safer".
    Anonymous