ear infections and olive oil

my boss and i are very into nautre and natural treatments. im not one to snub my nose at modern medicine but im also not one to div for tylenol at the first sign of a head ache. my daughter is 6months old and she has an ear infection and on anitbiotics. my boss suggested olive oil and garlic. has anyone tried this?

SummerMom072208

Asked by SummerMom072208 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know about olive oil, but garlic definitely works. We had NO money when I was little and my parents were back-to-the-lander hippies who were into alternative medicine. I had two ear infections in my childhood and both were cured with garlic. My mom cut a small piece of it, wrapped it in a piece of cheese cloth, and put it in my ear. I slept with it in there overnight and within a day or two, the ear infection was gone. :) I got an ear infection in college and took antibiotics...they didn't clear it up, so I got an appointment with an ENT, and before I went, I did the garlic thing. I went to the appointment anyway about 3 days later, and he was astounded that my ear infection was gone. :)
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 6:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• you can try putting breastmilk in your lo's ear. that should clear it right up.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• If you are into natural remedies and your 6 month old has an ear infection then there is no better natural remedy than to put 3 drops of your breast milk into her ears twice a day - works a treat, is free and very natural.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Warmed olive oil doesn't help clear up the infection. It soothes the pain. You can also place a warm wash cloth on her ear. The warmth is what soothes the pain...

When my son was on antibiotics, there was marked improvement shortly after the second dose!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• We use Muellin with olive oil found at Vitamin Shoppe.
    I have never used the garlic with olive oil though.
    dreaksgirl

Answer by dreaksgirl at 7:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• thats what my mom always used with us when we woke up in pain in the middle of the night
    Have3Girls114

Answer by Have3Girls114 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• you should try oil with an onion.
    then get the grease with a cotton ball and but the cotton ball in the child's ear. it works i always had ear infections as a child and that's what my parents did to me.
    marcelina08

Answer by marcelina08 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2009