How can i get my daughter who is turning 3 in march to start listening and doing as she's told and going to bed on her bed time? Help

Please help me with this I don't like yelling at her or putting her in time out, but I don't know what to do she also torments the cats and won't listen.

johncena814

Asked by johncena814 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No parent likes to punish a child. But for their own good they need to understand their boundries.

You may feel good b/c you are not giving her a time out.....but it only hurts her in the long run.

Children need and even WANT parents to take charge and make them do what they should.

Start using time out....TODAY!
    Anonymous

• If your going to be a parent, you have to act like one. You have to dissaplin when necessary. When she is doing something she isn't suppose to give her a warning. Tell her next time she does it she will go in time out. Then STICK to what you say!!!! Otherwise it is just empty threats, and she will catch on FAST! As for her bed... Be consistant. If she gets out of her bed, put her back in, and repeat.
    tln1

Answer by tln1 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I agree with the other 2 posters. Take control NOW! If you wait you will regret it. Dont be a pushover parent.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• When she doesn't listen (which is normal toddler behaviour) count to three. If by two she's not doing as you've asked, go to her and help her do what it is you're asking of her.

As far as bed time goes, you're the parent so you set the bed time and be consistent. Create a calming, pleasant night time routine, stick to it, and if she pops out of bed, just keep putting her back in.

There are also these neat night lights in the One Step Ahead or Leaps and Bounds catalogue: they glow yellow for day and blue for night. Tell her if the light is blue, she has to be in bed. You may wish to try a reward system in addition to setting her bed time and putting her back in bed. Make a chart with all the things she needs to do to get ready for bed and as she completes them, she can put a star on the chart. Reward her with a small toy, a favorite show, a special outing with mommy, something to motivate her to go to bed and stay there.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 10:14 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Something I used with my roommate's daughter that worked well with her (she was 4) was I would take away one of her toys. It worked so well when I babysat her that her mom started doing it as well. It was a few years ago, so I can't remember if she got her toy back after a certain amount of time or if when she apologized she got it back or what...but it worked well in that situation.
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• What has always worked best with my children is being consistent. When my kids wouldn't stay in bed, I had to put a chair in the doorway, and quietly read a book until they fell asleep. It took about 2 weeks for them to quit getting up. Also, I wouldn't talk to them or engage in any way after goodnight kisses and such. Once I was able to leave the doorway, they would get up here and there but not nearly as often, I'd simply walk them back to bed without a word. Eventually they got the point. Also, for misbehaving, I'd give a warning, a realistic threat, like "If you hit the dog again, you're going to bed early" and I'd follow through, and let the behaved child stay up since they did nothing wrong. And sometimes you've gotta get tough. If you're not a spanker, then find something that will get her attention. Like a favorite show or toy to revoke. And don't be afraid to raise your voice. Just be consistent.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 11:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2009