Sippy cups..

My daughter is going to be 7 months next week and we've slowly been trying to integrate the sippy cup into her daily routine. (My bestfrend said it's best to have her off the bottle by 9 months.) She has been very quick to adapt to other things (ie; crib, baby food/spoons, overnights at others' homes, etc.) and seems to know that there is milk in her cup and she tries to drink it. The problem is that the milk seems to come out too fast and she doesn't want to hold the cup herself. She doesn't hold her bottle herself either. (Is that normal?) How can I help teach her how to use it better?

MommyHess

Asked by MommyHess at 6:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just keep tryiing and there is no set age they should be off the bottle .keep giving it to her she will get it or maybe a different cup
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 7:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• if the milk comes out too fast u need a new cup.. u need stage one where it hardly comes out.. put her hands on it and u hold her hands.. but 9 months is early to get her off the bottle my daughter is 18 months and still has her bottle. the dr says usally 1yr to get on the sippy cup. but its really up to u dont listen to people do what u feel is right, sometimes babies choose when the time is right
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I'm confused about there being milk in the cup? You're pumping breastmilk to put in a sippy? Nothing wrong with it...just never really heard of it this early! lol

As for the milk coming out too fast, get a different sippy. Get the kind with a valve...then she has to suck. If it can pour out, it's more for a sippy "pro" LOL

You have to teach her to hold the cup, and to tip it up. We did it with ours at 6 months and it took about 2 weeks. Put her hands on it, yours over them. If she removes her hands, the cup is set on the table in front of her. (you don't hold if she doesn't hold) Once she will hold it, then start working on tipping...a finger at the end. Drop a little (while she's drinking) and if she drops the cup, let it go. She will start tipping herself. Just keep at it!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• DS was using sippys regularly by then I think. He started to hold his own bottle around 3-4 months. I would say help her to hold it. Teach her how. Dr's suggest they be off the bottle by 1, not 9 months. Just keep giving the cup to her. When you give her a bottle, let her hold it.
    tln1

Answer by tln1 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• my son is 8 months old, and he still has his regular bottles, but with meals he has a sippy for beginners......it took him a while to figure out he has to hold the sippy to drink from it but he refuses to hold the bottle...I am planning on taking away the bottle when he is 10 months or if he decides he done with it befor ethen...
    Let her lead the way when learning new things
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 7:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• my sons doc said to start introducing sippy cups at 5 months
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Not breast milk... Formula. I didn't realize I should specify, sorry. I would like her to be off the bottle by the time she can walk. 18 months seems awfully late. That's like 3 year olds using pacifiers. :/
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 7:17 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• OH, you didn't HAVE to specify...you said "milk" so I was thinking either breastmilk or regular milk! Not formula! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Oops. :P
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 7:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Both of my girls had the hang of sippys by the time they were 7 mos. old. My oldest caught on really quick, and was already a pro at holding her own bottle.

My youngest needed some practice, because she didn't start holding her bottle until late. I introduced the sippy at 5 1/2 mos. I just practiced with her with her bottle first...it took a couple of weeks, but she got the hang of it. Then I had her practice with the sippy.
    At some point, when I felt it was time for her to be doing it by herself, I stopped holding it. She would get frustrated until she realized that SHE was supposed to be holding it.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2009