Boston trip

I'm going to Boston in the spring. This will be my third trip there. I love doing the touristy things like Faneuil (sp?) Hall, Freedom Trail, Harbor and stuff like that. My friends and I are going for my BF's 30th birthday and we want to go somewhere new. Any thoughts on any little known places around there? Or maybe something we missed the first 3 times?

angiemgiu

Asked by angiemgiu at 7:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Travel

• I'm a native Bostonian! Whenever I've entertained out of town friends, I've taken them on the Beantown Trolley. An all day pass, gives you a history tour of Boston, and allows you to get on and off in a dozen or so places around the city--so you can do some exploring, and bar hopping!

If the weather is warm, I recommend taking a Sunset Harbor Cruise, a Whale Watch Cruise or trip to Provincetown (tip of Cape Cod) Some cruises include wine tastings!).

The Italian North End--will offer up some delicious entrees and desserts! Also recommend Legal Seafood restaurant, The Olde Oyster House, and of course The Bull 'n Finch Pub ("Cheers")

The Trolley tickets can be purchased at Concierge desks at major hotels like Copley Plaza, The Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton (don't have to stay there!), and the cruise tickets can be purchased near the New England Aquarium.

Have fun!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I think Lorikeet has some awesome suggestions. I've only been to boston a couple times but we really wanted to do the whale watching but ran out of time. Legal seafood is AWESOME. We did some of the tours as well and they were awesome, but i think our favorite tour was the ghost tour; (don't know if they do it all year, we've only been there in the fall) but you see the eerie side of boston, and it's so much fun.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 8:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• im from plymouth, travel outside of boston ,salem has some great site along with plymouth the cape and more
    smilingmomma

Answer by smilingmomma at 8:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I'm originally from Boston myself. There's sooo much to do there! Everything Lorikeet said and more. I especially love the Swan Boats, Quincy Market, and a feast in the North End. A visit isn't complete without dinner at Legal. I'm not sure if it's still there, but at Logan Airport you could buy fresh live lobsters to take home! Shopping on Newberry Street. Oh and a trip to the Cape is a must. Martha's Vineyard is great. I also enjoy visiting Salem, Lexington/Concord, Harvard Square, Woodshole, and if they're in town... you must go see the Red Sox play at Fenway Park!
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• dinner at Olives, excellent!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Don't forget the ghost tours!
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• ya i live near boston also...north end for sure...freedom trail...i like the restraunt mortons..newbury st for sure ...there is so much..concord bridge.ya salem for the ghost tours...harvard...have fun...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2009

• I live in salem mass. Go see the new england aquarium if you haven't already, the public gardens, museum of fine art, childrens museum, downtown crossing, and charlestown navy yard are always fun. Salem is fun anytime of year as well, but some tourist destinations are closed for the season right now. Taking a ride on the commuter rail is always great too. Newburyport, salisbury, and rockport are great to visit on a weekend. You can get train schedules at mbta.com. Hope this helps!
    Princess87

Answer by Princess87 at 12:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Oh and visit fire and ice. They have two locations one in boston and another in cambridge. It is a super unique and yummy resturant like no other, and they have something for everyone there. Oh and cambridge is a great place to check out too. Harvard square has some very interesting and diverse shops and resturants.
    Princess87

Answer by Princess87 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 18, 2009