A question for all black women. (from a white woman) Do you find it offensive to be called black? Do you prefer to be called African American by white people?

I feel awkward sometimes saying "that black girl in the store" or whatever, not sure why.

But then my dh tells me that the black kids at his school are offended when they are called african american.....they would rather be called black.

Just wondered? ;) Thought I would ask those of you who knew!

Didnt know what category to put this in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• im not blakc but i had one of my patients tell me they werent african american they were black because his parents were form jamacia (not african) so hes either black or brown
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 7:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Thats true emt, never thought about that.
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on the person you're talking to or about.

I prefer to be called African American, although I'm multi-racial.

Being called 'black' is just offensive to me...I am nowhere near black in color. lol
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I have always wondered this before also so I hope it gets lots of answers, and what do you guys calls us white girls
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• lol i prefer to be called white girl! i dont know why-all my friends that arent white (more races than african american) have always called me a white girl :D
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My brother is of the Afro persuasion. I asked him. He said "black" so I go with that.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:39 AM on Feb. 8, 2009