how often should u take a new born a bath?

am a 1st time mom so am new to everything when should i give my baby a bath and am havng a girl is there anything i should do or not do or look out for and when i do give her a bath should i wash her hair every time ??

BABY_BELLAS_MOM

Asked by BABY_BELLAS_MOM at 7:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She shouldn't need a bath more than once a week, as newborns don't really get 'dirty'. You also won't need to wash her hair everytime unless she has cradle cap. Every other time is plenty.

After the umbilical stump falls off, its safe to give her a bath. Make sure the water isn't too warm or too cool by testing it on the inside of your forearm. Newborn babies are slipperly when wet, so be sure you've got a good handle on her.

Have everything you'll need laid out and within arm's reach. Ideally, drap the towel over your shoulder that way you don't have to reach to get it. Bathe her in a warm room, and use a hypo-allergenic, non-scented soap (Dove is great for newborns and little kids).
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Well peaches pretty much summed it up
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I spongebathed mine everyday until the umbilical cord came off. After that it was everyday.

Answer by gemgem at 7:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I forgot to add that a washcloth is not necessarily needed. I had an easier time washing my girls with my hands. Be aware that while most babies are ok with their first bath, some don't like it and WILL scream (my youngest did this and scared the mess outta me LOL).

Wherever you bathe her, be it in an infant tub or the sink, make sure the bottom is non-skid. If its not, you can always put a towel down in the bottom to keep her from slipping and sliding all around. And you don't need to fill the tub or sink up with water....2-3 inches of water is plenty.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2009