4 year old given double root canal at school with no anesthesia? WTH is wrong with them?

Tell me that this did not freakin happen! This is a joke. Please find it on snopes for me. I'm having anxiety for the little boy just thinking about it! I would be stomping some serious ass out of everyone at that school. 

http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/143411/4yearold_given_double_root_canal?utm_medium=sm&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=fanpage

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Say it isn't so....no no no.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2012

• WHAT?!? Well, it's The Stir so, I'm hoping that it's not accurate.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2012

• The more I'm thinking about it the more it's gotta be false! Why would he need a root canal on baby teeth?
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2012

• Gosh, I hope it is not true.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2012

• OMG I really hope that was just a made up story.... I was knocked out COLD for about 2-3 hrs when I had my root canal when I was like 14, and it was STILL painful! I can't even imagine what that child went through....
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2012

• I agree with 3libras...it's the stir.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:20 PM on Sep. 13, 2012

• I don't doubt that it's true. Parents sign forms and they have these 'professionals' come in to do a service for them, all while charging the system for this 'free' work. As for medications, I wouldn't think anyone would want the liability to give a child medication they aren't sure the child can have (allergies). Parents are supposed to fill out those forms, but they aren't always accurate and with a child this young you have pretty much no background on them and they do not always know if and what they are allergic to. This part of the stir article struck me:

It sounds like she was doing what we all do: saying, hey, sure, free medical care for the kid!

Free does not mean good or quality.  It just means no direct charge to you. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2012

• Excellent point Quinn!!!!! When my dd had caps put on her dentist required us to get a physical from her doctor and he had to sign off on it!
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Sep. 13, 2012

• And when you have work done on your child they sometimes make you sign a waiver or disclaimer about anesthesia.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2012

• That is crazy! I hope they sue the pants off the dentist (and I'm not sue happy!), and I hope their own doctor defends them if he truly believes the procedure was unnecessary to begin with!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:55 PM on Sep. 13, 2012