I need help ASAP about my son's vaccine shots

My 4 month old had his second vaccinations yesterday, two in both legs. Now one of his legs has a big swollen knot in it. Its about the size of his fist. Now the doctor office is closed so I have no idea if this is normal side effects or what.

mama28th

Asked by mama28th at 8:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not that big. I was told a little swelling/redness was...but that seems extreme to me. If you want to wait until the office opens, then draw around the area to see if it gets bigger. My son had some swelling, but never that big.
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• put a warm compress on it often.sometimes this happens its normal.If it gets bigger however i would call the on-call service.they bruised my sons leg one time
    Anonymous

• I have never experienced anything like that. If you are at all concerned your doctors office should have an answering system. I would call and question it and they can have your doctor get a hold of you! That is their job! GL and I hope your little man feels better soon!
    hilary1122

Answer by hilary1122 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I agree, it'd try warm compresses and see if that helps.

Your sons's dr. should have some kind of after hours service you can call.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Although the other ladies have great advice, i would say a warm compress will do no good if it's swollen. if it's swollen it's inflammed and a cold compress would be better. However in the case of it was caused by a vaccination, I would call an on call nurse or go to the ER.
    Anonymous

• I would go in to urgent care myself.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't bring him to an ER... what would they do? He would be exposed to so many germs and for nothing.
    Try a cold compress to bring down the swelling.
    You can call the clinic even if they are closed... they will have someone there if you stay on the line long enough... you should be able to talk to a nurse or the pediatrician on call... and they can tell you what you should do.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• That happened to my son to and they disappered in only a few days.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• What shot was it? My son had the same thing twice after the same shot. It's common, but I wouldn't call it normal. I'd decline getting the same shot again.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2009