Anyone else outraged by this? (Mini-vent)

I just have to say that I'm frustrated and appalled by some homeowners in this economy. Rather than rent their homes to deserving families with excellent rental history, they continue to hold out for someone with perfect, blemish-free credit.

My family recently applied to rent a home that has been vacant for a YEAR now. We have spotless rental history, but have a voluntary repo on our credit (we gave my husband's car back to bank when we lost our second income.) Because of this, we have been denied for multiple houses now - including the one that these people are "desperate" to rent!

I don't understand that attitude at all. Clearly the man with all the bread would rather let the bread spoil than share it with a hungry person he deems "beneath" him.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• That is horrible. I see it happen here all the time. People are desperate to rent, but the renters are supper picky because they think they can be with so many looking to rent, they also jack up the rent, but being a small town word spreads and once people hear bad things they are not able to rent. I also do not understand why people who are trying to sell their house and are not living in it do not rent it out. It will at least pay their mortgage on that home for them. Seems silly to me.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• We've got places that have been trying to rent out for over a year. I'm not sure if it's because they are looking for someone with perfect credit or if it's because the rent is extremely high for our area. Anyway, I'm sorry that this is happening to you :(
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Thanks, it's good to know it's not just happening in our area. We live in a tourist town, and it's amazing how many owners also refuse to lower their rents or even rent to families with children! (Yes, we have been turned away from several properties because we have 2 young children!) There is simply no market for their homes as vacation rentals these days, yet they hold out unrealistic expectations for long-term renters.
    Anonymous

• It's the "desperate to rent" part. They aren't desperate for renters, they are desperate to collect rent. It's sad, but in this economy you can't rent to anyone with anything negative on their report. My father's renters are in the military, had almost perfect credit, they told him that they had to give up their house because they couldn't sell it before the husband was transferred. My dad hasn't received rent in months now. My sister hasn't been able to collect rent for months for one of her renters and several of my friends are in the same boat. Renting homes or apartments is no longer profitable. Once someone loses their job or they get behind because of one income you can't get rid of them.
    Believe me I feel for you, but I've seen both sides. My youngest sister is where you are right now, can't find a place because of a ding on her report, may have to quit their jobs, move back here and look for new jobs.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Do yall have pets?
    Anonymous

• No we don't have any pets.
    Anonymous

• Sorry this is happening to you. Keep your chin up. Someone will see it your way soon. And you will be happy you didn't even get that other place! Look forward to that. It's funny how things happy that way. Keep looking and good luck to you.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 11:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My husband is hispanic & the last time we tried to rent a place (before finding the place we live now) we could barely get some to call us back. We had one guy tell us the place had been rented..and he LIED because we repeatedly had to drive past it to get other places & the sign was still up & the place stayed vacant for a long long time. we had some places that flat out would not call us back at all. just recently we wanted to look at a house for sale & the lady called back (after my husband leaving 3 messages & tells us its sold) well 3 wks later the sign is still in yard (no "sold" on it) & its still listed on the internet as for sale. btw, no he's not an "illegal". he was born here.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't rent my house to someone with bad credit. They want to get paid. Not have to put up with the hassle of trying to collect. Your credit is a reflection of your payment history.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2009