Breast feeding: To quit or continue?

So I've been breast feeding now for just over 5 months now and I love it. But my mom and MIL are pushing me to quit along with a few of my friends. I want to continue but with all the pressure to quit I'm just not sure. Any opinions? Should I quit or continue?

Momma2beauties

Asked by Momma2beauties at 8:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• momma i will give you a piece of advice and i want you to remember it.... NOBODY KNOWS YOUR BABY LIKE YOU AND YOU WILL DECIDE WHATS BEST FOR YOUR BABY! my mom told me that bc i had all kinds of questions and that was her answer
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:17 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• If you love it, why stop? I could understand if you child is 5 years old, instead of 5 months, and you're still BFing, but your baby is still very young.

If you love it, I would continue BFing and tell everyone that this is what you're choosing to do and to mind their own business.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:17 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Who the heck cares what they say.....you so what is best for you and your baby.

Tell them to back off!!!
    Anonymous

• Why are they pressuring you to quit?

People who are uncomfortable with the thought of anything but a newborn infant breastfeeding often put pressure on moms when the baby gets older and starts to develop into a 'person'.

That being said, if you don't want to stop breastfeeding, then DON'T. If you make your decision based off of what they're saying, you'll only end up regretting it. I know mothers who have breastfed until their child was 2.

You do what's right for you and your baby, because its YOUR baby and YOUR body. Here's where you've got to put your foot down and be firm if you're going to continue...and know that you'll get a lot of unwanted advice and pressure. But if you prepare yourself and make yourself strong for it, you won't be bothered. If you don't, you'll yield to the pressure.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Yes do what YOU want. And join the Breastfeeding Moms group, there is lots of support there.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• They just want me to quit because it would be easier and more convient to put her on formula so I can leave her places and go out more often. Also I don't like to pump cause I don't want her to prefer the bottle to my breast.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 8:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I had the same problem. My mother thought I shouldn't because I wasn't eating healthy enough. My friends thought I should because they wanted me to be able to drink and smoke weed with them and go out without having to pump milk out. And you know what I said the hell with what they wanted or thought because it's my child that I carried for so long and had to lay in the hospital bed screaming bloody mary to push them out. Not there child. I want what's best for my baby and so should you
    blessedmom1

Answer by blessedmom1 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• yeah my daughter is 7m and my family members want me to quit because they think it will be easiar on me so i dont have to take her everywhere with me or if im not feeling well if shes on the bottle they can watch her for me
    Have3Girls114

Answer by Have3Girls114 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Tell them it is none of their business, it sure saves on formula and bottles!! Besides if you love it and baby is doing good, by all means continue...
    40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 8:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Don't listen to them...Your baby. AAP recommends at least 1 yr, and WHO is a 2 yr recommendation. You are doing what is best for baby, and you shouldn't listen to those trying to make you stop. Not only is it best in health, but also in bonding, and in security for the child (and before a ff person bashes me yes I HAVE ff 2 kids and bf 1so make like a bee and buzz off). Do what your heart says mama, and congrats on giving your baby the best!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2009