Adopting a friend's baby ~ Trying again!

Evidently, I put too much info and got comments instead of answers last time. ~~

~~ What I want to know is: How easy, or hard, is it to adopt a baby from my friend when both biological parents and both adoptive parents are all in agreement about what's best? Can we just go have a judge sign the paperwork, or do we still have to go through lawyers, homestudy, and all the fees involved?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Adoption

• It depends on your state. Most states require homestudy prior to placement in your home. I know that California will allow placement then a homestudy. Some states only allow an agency to complete an adoption and some allow an attorney or agency.
    You would have to look into your specific county to see if you can file the paperwork on your own. Not many people are going to know the answer to the question as if varies state to state and county to county within states.
    You can call an adoption agency, adoption attorney, and your courthouse to find out the information.
    luckyshamrock

Answer by luckyshamrock at 8:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Hi,
    We adopted our son from my best friend's sister. We live in Tx and yes, we had to hire an atty and also an atty for our son. We had to pay to have a homestudy as well. Then once all that was done we went before the judge.
    Ang317

Answer by Ang317 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I also believe that the homestudy is something that you would definately need but shop around, sometimes the prices vary significantly (if it is the cost that is concerning you). Some things you can do yourself, like ordering your FBI fingerprints, Child Abuse clearances and criminal record on line. I cant imagine getting through the whole thing without some legal help at all, but there may be some other costs you can save by doing things yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Our adoption was a private adoption through friends. We hired an attorney who bascially gave us all the information needed on what we would need to do. Medicals were done on the both of us, a back ground check and an inspector came to our home to talk and get a look around at the house. It was not hard at all. if you would like you can message me- I would be glad to give you any information you may need. However, state laws differ.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2009