stuffy nose!!

my 9 month old baby has really bad congestion i've tried vapo rub and a humidifier in his room but that doesnt seem to work, and he wont sleep!! any ideas or suggestions?? thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• put a pillow under the end of the matress where he lays his head for elevation. do you breastfeed? put a couple drops in each nostril. turn on the shower extremely hot, sit in the bathroom, let the steam break up the backed up snot and use a bulb to suck it out. if all else fails, saline drops. GL!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Also, feed your baby in the steamed up bathroom...it'll force air flow through the nostrils and the warm milk will help break things up. If you're using regular Vicks (not the baby non medicinal kind) then you might want to stop. I saw a news story about how Vicks can actually create a situation where a baby's body can't clear its own mucous. Try Johnson's Vapor bath (Eucalyptus and peppermint helps open baby's nostrils) prior to bed. Mattress on an incline is a good option. A little advil/motrin before bed, if you're desperate. It is an anti inflammatory and will help reduce inflammation in swollen nasal passages and might help baby breath. My doctor okay'd a very small amount of benadryl for my 9 mo. old...but I would check with yours first...I've heard it can be dangerous.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• put him in the bathroom with a hot shower going for a while, then take him outside for a few minutes (if it's cold). the cold will drain all that gunk out of there. and stick a pillow under his mattress (NOT under his head, not old enough yet) or if you have a wedge he can have that (my daughter never stayed on it, but you can try). you can get those vicks shower thingies to put in the shower and sit in there for awhile, too.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Get some Little Noses saline spray. It's safe & effective.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• a quarter teaspoon of salt and a cup of water, mix em and then dip a q-tip in the water then put at least 4-5 drops in eat nostril, the doctor told me to do this and said it was fine for the baby to swallow it. it worked great for my 5 month old, good luck
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2009