Why does it seem that parents (in general) have become such HUGE pushovers?

Lately it seems like everyone I hear or see is being dragged around by their child.

At McDonalds today I watched as a mom and dad tried desperatly to get their dd (about 3) down from the slide. She screamed no, and go away. And threw her shoes, (that she shouldnt have had) down at them.
They laughed and rolled their eyes. As if it was cute.
After about 15 minutes of this they literally CAUGHT her as she came down and she went into hysterics. She refused to put on her shoes and coat and they fought her all the way to the car!

I was amazed. I have seen SOOOO Many lately that I am begining to think we have become a society that bows to the whims of our children. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would have come up the slide to get her, and it wouldnt have been pretty after that!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Blah. I saw something similar one day where a couple couldn't get their toddler to hold their hands in the parking lot. When she took off into the sea of cars, dad laughs and shouts "You can't catch me!" and engaged his toddler in a game of tag in the busy parking lot. I keep waiting to hear about this family on the news.

MaddiesMaMa418

Answer by MaddiesMaMa418 at 8:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• A girl in one of my classes was telling us that her daughter was wearing a princess costume and they were going somewhere she was trying to take it off. Daughter refused and slapped her in the face. Mom thought it was funny. Seriously?!
    MrsBrintae

Answer by MrsBrintae at 8:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i have a 2 year old and she throws fits alot now and honestly i don't really know what to do in public! i mean at home i can put her in time out or a spanking if she needs it but you can't really do that in public. i tried the time out in public and it was a joke and you can't really discipline in public with out being afraid someone will turn you in and take your kids. so if you have any insight please share

setliff

Answer by setliff at 8:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I think parents are not as able to spend as much quality time with their children and it is easy to give in and be the good guy and their friend to make up for it. I really don't know though, I'm a total bitch to mine.
    Anonymous

• MrsBr:
    A girl in one of my classes was telling us that her daughter was wearing a princess costume and they were going somewhere she was trying to take it off. Daughter refused and slapped her in the face...

See now this isn't a fight that is worth it. I was just telling DH that I cannot wait for DD to want to go to the store dressed in silly outfits she picks out. It helps teach them independence and how to make choices. Plus it is cute when you see a little girl in rain boots and a princess dress. To me it is no big deal.But the slapping is a BIG BIG deal, I cannot believe any parent would find that funny.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 8:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• setliff....time outs in public DO work...but your dd is kinda young. But I would still start now.

I am stricked enough at home that my kids take me seriously when we are out....they are 3 and 5.

It takes MORE effort in public but it CAN and HAS to be done.
    Anonymous

• setliff there is also a difference in a toddler tantrum and a serious complete lack of control and disrespect which was what this little girl was doing.

Every child will have a tantrum from time to time. But to have a child act this way and stand back and chuckle.....not ok.
    Anonymous

• Too much trying to be "best friends" to make up for the lack of parenting time in our busy world?

Other than that, I can see a child throwing a fit and not wanting to come down. I can even see the parents laughing but it's a nervous laugh, not an "isn't she cute" laugh. At least the parents did drag her to the car instead of letting her play as long as she wanted.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Have parents become pushovers? YES. Why? American culture is kind-centric. Every want and need of a child is expected to be answered. No one wants to spank their child in public because they're afraid "someone will turn them into child services" I spank my son. IN PUBLIC. I've had child services called on me by my son's father. I asked them about spanking and her response was "Spanking is NOT child abuse. It's considered a form of discipline, just like time out." Child abuse and spanking are different, and child services knows this! Some parents don't want to put forth the effort to PARENT. Some things I let go that my boyfriend does not, but it takes time and energy to discipline. Why not just be their friend?
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2009