At what age and under what circumstances do you give your child a cell phone?

My oldest is 11 (he will be 12 in April) and just got his first cell phone because he goes to school in an area I am not comfortable with and I gave him the phone so that he can reach me at any time. My middle son is 10 and he has no cell phone at least for another year since he attends school on base less than half a mile from our house and he has no need for one. What ages are your kids who have cell phones and why?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 8:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• This is honestly something I can admit to letting society have. I don't want my kid to be the only one in class without a cell phone. Cell phones are becoming a part of modern childhood. So I'll let her have one when she asks if the majority of her class has them as well. I'll fight off the more dangerous society norms like drugs, skipping, bullying, academic dishonesty, etc. I don't see harm in a phone. So she can have one with good behavior, a promise not to lose/break it, & a promise not to let it interfere w/ school work.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I think thats a personal family decision. I understand the reasons parents do it is for safety. But they are truely have become a status symbol and cause problems in the classrooms.

Make sure he understands the school rules about them. So he doesnt get into trouble with it. :)
    Anonymous

• I believe that it is a choice for each family to deside on their own. In our house we have told the kids that they will not have a phone until they are old enough to be away from us without another adult present. We are thinking 15 but maybe 14. Right now they are 9, 8, and 2.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• When my children are driving, they can have a cell phone which will be prepaid for emergencies only. They can have a better one when they are willing to pay for it monthly.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My son turns it off during school hours and I check it nightly to see who he is calling and who is calling him ( I can also check this online!) Its on a family share plan, so it doesnt cost much more than what I already pay.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:43 AM on Feb. 7, 2009