bad breastmilk?

can breastmilk be bad. everytime i feed my baby my breastmilk gives off a bad odor like rotten eggs. should i stop breastfeeding him. i dont know why it smells and i am afraid that it will harm my baby

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should speak to someone about that right away
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Call a lactation consultant.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i would ask a pro. I NEVER smelled mine bad ?
    ssspw-world

Answer by ssspw-world at 8:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• i am assuming you are pumping your milk, and not smelling your nipples (haha, joke) how old is the milk? is it being kept at the right temperature? what you eat affects the taste of the milk too. make sure you are eating a healthy diet similar to when you were pregnant. after you pump the milk, if you are not going to use it within a day or two, freeze it in a special milk bag after getting most of the air out. if you are storing it in the fridge, the milk may be taking on odors from the fridge. if that's the case, clean out your fridge and stick a box of baking soda in there.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• im not pumping it just gives off an odor that i can smell as im feeding
    Anonymous

• breastmilk directly from the breast cannot go bad.
    i've never heard of there being an odor so you should ask someone about that. you could contact your local la leche league or a lactation consultant about the odor.
    now, like mamalala said, if it's pumped or expressed milk then it's possible the milk being stored had gone bad.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• oh, well if you can smell it while you're nursing, then you may need to seek a little more professional help. are you still taking vitamins? because you should. can you express some milk and smell it to see if it is your milk, and maybe not something else? how old is your baby? not trying to say you or your baby stink, but sometimes my baby's breath didn't exactly smell like roses, nor did i after not having a shower in 3 or 4 days! you kind of forget those things with a newborn, and then all of a sudden i get a whiff of myself and P-U! i hope i put a bit of a smile on your face with that, but yeah, talk to LLL or something, and i hope you figure it out soon!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• lol. milk doesn't sit in our boobs & go bad. don't worry. i agree w/ mamalala. it's probably something else.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:15 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• The milk itself, or his stinky farts - it's very possible that he's letting out silent but deadly ones as he guzzles, and you just assume it's your milk??

Breastmilk doesn't go bad- it is always fresh. What you eat can have an effect on taste, colour, and I suppose smell (I don't know, mine has never smelled like anything other than milk)..

Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:17 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Squirt some into a shot glass and taste it yourself- does it taste bad?? It could have underlying tastes, such as a bit of bitterness, garlicy, spicey, etc... Depending on what you've eaten, but that's normal and nothing is wrong with it..
    What does DH think? Surely he's tasted some during lovemaking..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:19 AM on Feb. 7, 2009