How do I discipline my toddler for hitting? Time out works sometimes.

wadewalksoar

Asked by wadewalksoar at 8:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it is a phase and mine is going through it too. gl momma cause i know what you are going through
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• It takes time. Just keep doing time outs. If you change methods, you will confuse him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I almost came the point that I thought "time outs" were pointless but I just kept being persistent with it. There was a point where my son would just giggle & then go sit down.(It would make me feel crazy) Then there was also a time where If he got up from his time out & did something else, It was right BACK to sitting down. I didn't miss a beat. It was very tiring at times but he found out fast what wasn't going to fly with me.

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 9:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Always be consistent and make sure the discipline fits the behavior. Toddlers hit because they haven't developed the words yet to express themselves, and even if they do have the words, the emotions generally drown them out (even happens to adults). Teach your toddler appropriate ways to express their emotions (like hitting pillows) and use emotion words to reflect back what they are feeling. Always talk through their emotions to help them learn the words to express themselves. After a time out, make sure you talk about what started the behavior and how it could be handled better next time. Practice the behavior you want to see!! I found with my son that an "angry" pillow really works for him (and he has an "angry" mat at school, too). Remember that expressing their emotions is NOT a bad thing - but we need to help them learn how to express them appropriately, and sometimes, that means hitting something...like a pillow.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I spank. Kids gotta learn. I know spanking is hitting BUT all kids gotta learn that there is things mommas and daddys can do that kids can't and hitting is one of those.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2009