Starting to potty train my 2 year old! Any advice?

Were slowly starting to potty train our two year old son. We got him a potty and showed it to him. Whats the best way to go about it? Thank you so much in advance!

teeg1

Asked by teeg1 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IMO with him telling you he needs a new diaper he is ready!my daughter stArted that at 21 months, I got lucky, she was potty trained in literally two days, minus nap and night time, those always take longer. We kept her potty seat accessible to he, it was usually in the living room with us and she ran around bare butt lol. She learned very quickly when the urge came and would go straight to her potty. We then slowly moved the potty seat closer to the bathroom so that she had to learn to control it longer and then into the bathroom and now she uses the big potty. There is a small window of opportunity when they can show they are ready at a decently young age, run with it lol.dont push too hard and don't get frustrated if it doesn't happen super fast. My first was a but more of a challenge, but still within two weeks she was trained the same way. Good luck!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:54 AM on Sep. 16, 2012

• Let him come in when you are going to the bathroom. Let him sit on his potty with his clothes on, then when he is comfortable with that, start taking his pants off to sit. Start using it at scheduled times like when he first wakes up, before and after nap, before bedtime. Take him there and let him sit. You may have to read to him or something else to keep him on it longer than 2 seconds, but let him be there for a few minutes, then have him get up whether he does anything or not. When he goes, praise like crazy. If he has an accident, shrug it off and better luck next time. Most of all - DON'T PRESSURE! If he doesn't want to sit on it sometimes, be okay with it. He will get it eventually.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• How much over 2?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• Its his birthday today so we got him a potty among other things Thank you hottie826! meomoma thanks for that lol! I will keep telling myself that. He is only two so im not in any hurry!
    teeg1

Comment by teeg1 (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• My advice is to wait until he's 3.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• My advice is wait until he is 3.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• PATIENCE!! LOTS AND LOTS OF PATIENCE!!!
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• I thought about 3 too but he tells us when he either needs to go or has gone and he brings me a new diaper so.. I figured we could try for fun.... we have lots of time
    teeg1

Comment by teeg1 (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Sep. 15, 2012

• My best advice is to wait for signs of him being ready to use the potty and not to force it. I got the potty at 18 months and my daughter used it the first day then didn't want to anymore so I never pressed it.

When he's really ready I suggest staying home for a week and revolving everything around going potty. We are doing that now.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2012