How backwards is THIS ... in the day in time...

SO - I got my new apt... I went to set up the utilities today... turns out I can't do it online OR by phone! I have to drive down town to city hall to set it up and pay the deposit. I get there and I am sent to take a little paper number and wait to be called back in to the little room with the clerks...
So they ge to my number, I fill out the papers, she runs my credit and tells me my deposit amount... I go to hand her my bank card and she tells me cash or money order only! WHAT!? So she sends me to the other side of the building to the ATM. I tell her I will be right back and she says that I have to take a new number! OMG it took me an hour and a half today to get my utilities connected! LMAO!

Have you heard of anything like this in the last like, 10 years? Funny thing is I only moved to the next city over... it's not like it is the middle of nowhere. It is a rather large metropolitan area!

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 8:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2012 in Money & Work

• LOL, wow, how backward is that.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• LOL there are several places here that still wont take anything other then cash or check
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 9:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• mrsmom110

• mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• The only thing different is that my city does take credit cards, otherwise, they are just as bad. It's like stepping back into Mayberry here.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• Our gas and electric company does not take credit cards either, cash, check, or money order only. However, if you are renting the landlord calls public service to have you connected, you have to call to have your old residence disconnected. If you own you call, and there is no deposit made, if you don't pay the bill and your bill is over $450 you get disconnected, except from Oct 15 - March 15 they can not disconnect you.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 9:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• When we moved 16 years ago, all we had to do was prearrange the moving date. Everything was set up by the time we moved. I guess because we stayed with the same company.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• OMG. So is it correct that they won't even take a check either?! WTF! That is insane. How many people burn them on a bill to warrant that kind of policy?!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2012

• This wouldn't be the city of Riverside, would it?

Answer by gdiamante at 12:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2012