Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do we get our money back?

My husband got hurt in the military so got out on a medical discharge. He let a friend borrow $4000 of his severance money, which is over half of what he got back. His friend was suppose to pay him back $500 every month, but after about 2 weeks, took off, changed his cell phone number and moved to Chicago(we live in GA). Since then, we are broke, have been struggling, my husband can't find a job and we are about to lose our home and our cars. I told my husband not to do it, but he's too nice of a guy. We do something nice for someone and we get screwed. Does anybody know anything we can do?

Answer Question

Asked by ABPeterson at 9:36 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 17 (4,580 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Take him to court. Thats the only thing that will get your money back. In the future its okay to loan money, but don't loan more than you are willing to lose. Good luck!

    Answer by MamaChamp at 9:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • We would love to take him to court but have no way of getting a hold of him. We only know he moved to Chicago because that is where he is from and his ex-girlfriend said he told her he was moving there when he broke up with her and left. We don't know where he works, where he lives, or have a phone number for him.

    Answer by ABPeterson at 9:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • Please tell me also in addition to taking him to court that you all got something in writing or the check (please say you didn't give cash) you gave him has loan on it????

    Answer by NiHao at 9:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • I'm pretty sure the courts or dectives can find him for you. His address would be on a credit report. And yeah if you gave him cash youre out of luck.

    Answer by MamaChamp at 10:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • Courts will find and serve him. If you gave him cash,you are usually out of luck.

    Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • My husband went to the bank and got a certified check for him (he was actually there at the bank too when my husband did it) and he typed a contract that they both signed, so if it ever does go to court, he has that to show.

    Answer by ABPeterson at 10:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

  • There are alot of legalities here. One being that no one is going to track this man down, b/c unless you had a contract that said such and such a date that he was to pay, and so forth, it couldn't be proved at this point that your "friend" isn't going to pay. Secondly, you might could attempt small court but this guy can't be found. But if you show up and show your contract, that might at least put something out in his name.
    I'm afraid for the most part, there isn't going to be alot that can be done, that is going to net you your money back. This guy wasn't a "real friend". Like the first poster said, "never lend what you can't afford to give away."

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:39 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

  • See if you can find him on and then take his butt to court, thats really shady

    Answer by camtri3 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.