Can you receive unemployment while on maternity leave?

I have been getting mixed answers. If I don't get unemployment I think I will be screwed! What can I do?

MiMiBreezy

Asked by MiMiBreezy at 9:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't know... call your job and family services office. They can tell you more.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 10:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I don't think so. Maybe just try babysitting or something from home to make money.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• it depends the job and business unfornately some businesses here in the u.s. dont ...i have no idea why but they dont and its called maternity leave and some do ...pay and sometimes its only half your pay but it depends ...ask your boss !!!!
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I have never heard of being able to receive unemployment because that is based on lack of work or getting laid off etc., not your ability to work. i do know that if you have been at your job long enough then you will qualify for disability pay during maternity leave which is way better than unemployment anyway :) Good luck !
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:21 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• no you can not you can file for state welfare benifits but they are very hard to get
    Anonymous