• In the Spotlight:

What should I do regarding renting?

Our home is going to be vacant. This relative has a very destructive dog (which is crate trained) - their home now has a LOT of wood damage from the dog chewing on door posts and scratching the wood floor. It is also a very loud dog, when excited. This relative has had 2 foreclosures.

How can we help out someone who needs a home, but not get burned??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• You should not do it. It's tough and I know you want to help. But trust me, help him find a place that has a more suitable living condition for his dog. You will regret it tremendously if his dog wrecks your house, and it doesn't sounds like he is in a position to repay you. Family relationships are ruined beyond repair over things like this.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 11:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Poster)) Also, we have a septic and I love this home. how do we know they will take care of the home?
    Anonymous

• I really think you should look at their past experiences. Chances are your nice home that you love so much will be just as ruined as their past homes. If you decide to do it, you'd better have a hefty deposit to pay for all the damages they are sure to cause.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Don't get involved in this without being okay with the possibilities of this occurring. If you let them rent the house tell him that there are no animals allowed in the home. Be very clear on this & let them know that their will be no hesitation on finding a new renter if they can't follow the rules pertaining your home rental cares. Make sure you can come up with some kind of contract! Very important. Family or not, you have to protect what is yours if you want this to stay in your best interest.

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 10:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• These are things that renters look at when they do a credit and background check on potential rentee's. I wouldn't rent a house to someone with that kind of history - NO WAY! Tell them as politely as possible that you just can't rent the house to them or tell them you found someone else to rent the house.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 10:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Ihave rented to a person with excellent credit and have been burned also with a person with bad credit so thats a hard one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2009