How can i get my daughter to listen and do as she's told better she's 2 1/2 she'll be 3 in march also how can i get her to go to bed on time?

I could really use some help.

johncena814

Asked by johncena814 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Remember to be be patient and calm. Children need to hear the same thing over and over (hundreds of times) before their brain has developed enough to remember. Always be consistent - the more consistent you are, the better the chances of remembering sooner. When you talk, look her in the eye and make sure she's looking at you. Get her attention - I use 3 words - Stop. Look. Listen. Reinforce these with hand signals as well - teach her some simple signs for these three words so you can use the hand signals when you can't use your words. Speak clearly, using terms/concepts she can understand (don't expect her to understand "clean your room" - instead, break it down to specific, small tasks. Ask her to repeat your request. At this age, let her try and then help her with the words. Create a bedtime routine and talk her through it, giving her reminders of what's to come next.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• cont. Practice behaviors - like cleaning up her toys - by helping her do them, using words and body to show what you expect. Make sure she understands your expectations (don't lower them, just clarify them). If she's not listening or maybe doesn't understand, you can gently take her hands and guide them so she understand what action goes with the words. Also, to call attention to things you want her to pay extra attention to - tell her to "turn on" her listening ears...she can "turn" them on or you can (I found that blowing in my son's ears helped lighten the mood when I needed him to listen better). You can also start giving her choices - she's more likely to listen if she's going to be heard and has a say in things. For bedtime, let her choose between two sets of pajamas, or choose if the wants to brush her teeth before or after she has her pajamas on. Find little things where she can make choices in the routine.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• cont...and another thing I do with my son that has worked is to count...but backwards from 5 to 1. When I started this, I would tell him what I wanted him to do, give the consequence, and then count backwards. By 1, I would follow through on the consequence. Now, after two years of this, all I have to do is count from 5 to 1 - sometimes FAST if I need his immediate attention, and sometimes slow if I know he's tired or is going to have a hard time listening. I try to adjust according to the situation. Oh...and one great consequence to use at this age is "you can do it yourself or I can help you do it." This touches on a child's natural desire to do things by themselves, but sometimes, we just need to help them do it! Good luck!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I would give her a warning that she needs to listen and if she still doesn't then spank her bottom.
    blessedwife08

Answer by blessedwife08 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2009

• My daughter is the same age (3 in March) and we have this problem alot. I have been trying this lately and it seems to work...If I tell her to clean up her room and she says she doesn't want to, then I simple tell her she won't be able to play with those toys the next day. If she still refuses, then I tell her that since she can't pick them up, then I will have to throw them away cause we can't have a messy room. This has gotten her attention it seems lol! I haven't had to 'throw anything away' yet. I also tell her if she doesn't do as I ask, then she won't be able to do something that she wants (today it was grandma & grandpa coming over, somtimes it's watch her favorite movie, play with a special toy, etc). I have another 2yr old, and that does not work with her. I have to literally take her hands and help her do whatever it is I ask until she starts to do it on her own.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 6:07 AM on Feb. 7, 2009