Ideas? Tips? I'm not very crafty...

So my 3 year old son wants to be a puppy for Halloween (we got a Brittany puppy earlier this year and so of course now he's always pretending to be the dog - it's pretty cute). My problem is that it's usually way too hot here on Halloween for most of the furry puppy costumes that I can just buy... so I'm thinking that I might have to just make something for him. How do I do that? I'm SO not crafty, but it seems to be something I'll have to learn as a mom.

I'm thinking of starting with a white hat, shirt and pants and sewing on some furry brown patches (so he'll look like our dog). Kinda at a loss here. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Pictures/links would be great if you have any. I don't even own a sewing machine, but I do have some basic thread and needles for buttons and loose hems. Thanks!

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 2:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2012 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I'm Crafty!!! LOL

What you & m-avi said would be perfect!! Check these out... click on the pics to make them bigger!! Some are for cooler weather... but if you use t-shirts and light pants it should work!!  http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/dog-costumes.html 

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2012

• Maybe just paint on a little puppy nose, buy some ears and a tail??
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2012

• Clicky from above... sorry

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2012

• Oooh, there are some cute costume ideas on that page. Thanks!

Has anyone used fabric glue before? I read another site that suggests using felt and fabric glue. Sounds easy but would that last more than a couple uses? We usually have a couple kid parties, and the Zoo-Boo and then the big night... so I would feel bad if it fell apart.
    Sebbiemama

Comment by Sebbiemama (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2012

• sooo what did you do? how did you do it in the end?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2012

• Oh, sorry - I leave these things open for too long. It turned out SO cute. Fabric glue worked really well. I got some fast-drying stuff and used that to glue fuzzy brown patches onto a white hoodie. Even used the glue to make ears and a tail (stuffed with cotton balls to give them some bulk.) I've never tried to post a pic but let's see if this comes out okay:

Sebbiemama

Comment by Sebbiemama (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2012